Home Metal Detecting
Options

LordM here is a pic of the face of the watch.

It took me a week to get all the crud off of it and get to the cool design.This is my first complete pocket watch I have found,it was found at the coleman site.

HH,Tom

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

I have found lots of parts but only one complete pocket watch (and it was a small, modern one).

A buddy of mine claims to have dug a gold pocket watch from the late 1700's/early 1800's near the Ft. Frederica National Monument here, at a depth of almost two feet. He also claims that when he tapped the dirt off of it, it started ticking, though the hands were rusty.

Cool story, even though it sounds like a crock of s@*% to me. That's the way this guy is, though- sometimes his stories sound totally fabricated, and then you later find out they're true. I think most of his stories are partly true but he tends to exaggerate them a bit.

He probably DID find a gold watch, and I know he has recovered stuff from almost two feet down. The ticking part was probably BS, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I know a few guy's like thatimage

I mostly find the gear's and even sometime's the cover's but that is usually it.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Very cool find! image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice watch!! image
    Nice decorations on the front!

I've found one complete pocket watch:
    I first found the bulk of the watch (without the cover with the leather symbol) and was nervous I wouldn't get the rest... but luckily the cover was in the same hole an inch or two away

As for LM's buddy finding the gold watch... I'd be very suspicious about the ticking part also.. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How funny we were discussing this, and then I went out and got one. image

Of course, y'all's are more complete, and nicer. I don't remember seeing the face on Zot's?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I have only found modern ones...well I guess modern....from around 1940....none were ticking though!