Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need 1893-s Morgan advice...

What is a good price to buy a 1893-s Morgan graded by PCGS or NGC as an F12? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As close to Grey Sheet "Ask" as you can get, which isn't saying a lot because the price of those things these days is usually way over Ask.

Hold out for one with original dirty grey (undipped) surfaces, and be sure that both vertical lines inside the two cotton bolls are visible.

Good luck!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    What is the Grey Sheet price? How do obtain the Grey Sheet?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say around $4K +/- a couple hundred.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    my opinion is worth zero, but i would like to try.

that is one hella expensive coin in the PCGS price guide.

7 G for an VF.

so a F12 should fetch several hundred dollars i reckon.

edited to add: wow. expensive coin in all grades. must have been a very low mintage or did they melt them all?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about that.

Grey Sheet is the weekly dealer wholesale price sheet. Subscriptions are $100 per year. The last one I have is two months old. Ask for a Fine-12 1893-S in that one was $3500. You can probably figure on having to pay $3800-$4000 for anything nice in a PCGS or NGC holder.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    As of 12/09 greysheet was $3200 bid $3500 ask for a raw f12. I doubt that it has changed enuf to get excited about in the last couple weeks.
  • Options
    very helpful members, thank you a bunch!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>edited to add: wow. expensive coin in all grades. must have been a very low mintage or did they melt them all? >>

100K mintage reported. Many were released to circulation and there aren't THAT many uncircs around. A lot are said to have been melted and I believe that the remaining population of mostly well circ examples is a good bit under 10K.
  • Options
    Need 1893-s Morgan advise...

How about some advice instead.

Buy only a "Big 3" slabbed coin, and expect to pay $3-4 thousand.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    What majorbigtime says: image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Need 1893-s Morgan advise...

Buy only a "Big 3" slabbed coin, and expect to pay $3-4 thousand. >>

I also agree, but I think the 4 figure is more realistic if in good plastic.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>What is the Grey Sheet price? How do obtain the Grey Sheet? >>

You can order a PDF copy of the latest Coin Dealer Newsletter (the "Greysheet") online at "greysheet.com" for $4. If you are cheap, you can own the most recent back issue for $2.50.

Link
  • Options

<< <i>Need 1893-s Morgan advise...

Buy only a "Big 3" slabbed coin, and expect to pay $3-4 thousand. >>

lol, Thanks, corrected. I guess I should proof read better.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    First, you have to find one grading Fine/12. That's not as easy as you think. I know what the sheets say, but unlike a lot of better date Morgans, this one sells for a premium. A very strong premium if it's a good looking coin. VF's with good eye appeal and in pcgs and ngc plastic will routinely sell for around $6k and I mention that because those are found more easily than Fine's.

Be patient and good luck in your search. If it's a great looking coin, don't miss out because of a price guide. Buy it. You may wait a LONG time before finding another "great" one.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file