Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

West Point minted coins?

Can anyone point me to a list of coins or coin series that were minted at West Point? Someone here (can't remember who) shared their plan to have every mint represented in their Dansco 7070 type set. Thought it was a good idea to copy. Trouble is I was planning not to have proofs or gold which is most of what's been done at "W". Anything else I should look into?

TIA!
Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
Circulated TypeSet Wantlist

Comments

• Options
    The easiest W mint coin would be the clad dime of 1996 I believe. Unless you want to fill your modern commem. spot. There's a few W mintmarks in that series.

Edited to add: The 96-W dime is available only in the mint sets of that year.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about "officially" minted in West Point, or are you also talking about the hundreds of millions of coins "unofficially" minted there over the years without mintmarks to help out the Philly mint?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you talking about "officially" minted in West Point, or are you also talking about the hundreds of millions of coins "unofficially" minted there over the years without mintmarks to help out the Philly mint? >>

image learn something new everyday
  • Options

<< <i>robertb: The easiest W mint coin would be the clad dime of 1996 I believe. >>

Excellent suggestion. Thank you. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Why did this happen? What was special about '96?

<< <i>coppercoins: or are you also talking about the hundreds of millions of coins "unofficially" minted there over the years >>

As coinnut86 said....huh? And if they're not marked....how do you know?
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As coinnut86 said....huh? And if they're not marked....how do you know? >>

Like coppercoins has said, the West Point mint has produced hundreds of millions of coins for circulation, mostly cents. The cents carry no mint mark, and are indistinguishable from Philly minted coins.

Or are they ... ?
  • Options

<< <i> I didn't even know there was such a thing. Why did this happen? What was special about '96? >>

My understanding is that in 1996 they wanted to honor the 50th anniversary of the Roosevelt dime.Also West Point happens to be near his home . Not struck for circulation,they were included the 96 mint sets as an EXTRA dime. 1,457,949 sets were made.It's the only dime with the W MM.The dime alone is worth around $15-$20.Full Band $25 and up.Be careful if you buy a 96 mint set,many of them have the 96W dime removed image

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    My suggestion for a good, and cheap, West Point coin, would be the West Point S$1. In BU, I believe it's only $20-$25. image And it's still a pretty nice looking coin image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    I learn something new from coppercoins on almost everyone of his posts!image
    How much for that one

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file