Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Once again, 81 Type 1 or Type 2 SBAs???

Let's see what the masses think this time!!!

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    TYPE ONE

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    BTW, these are not mine...

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    That's what I thought, but LongtimeCollector swears they are T2s. Looking through the sets the only coin that is a T2 is the Jeff.

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I would say type 1, but there are a number of people who insist there is a completely separate type 3 mintmark that is far scarcer than the type 2. Some or all of these could be that type 3, because none of them seem to exactly match the mark for type 1 or type 2.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    All the S's seem to have rounded and smoothe shapes.
    The Type 2 s' have a distinct flat impression on top along with boulbous ends.

Larry
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It appears that the photos in the post are "in between" both type I rounded and type II flat. I would argue that these are possibly the third variety. -Dan
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it really matter? I mean, really???
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Only if you own one, I guess. -Dan
  • Options
    What is the problem with someone asking a numismatic question about modern varieties? I collect all kinds of coins(modern, early, foreign, etc...) and feel that it is an interesting part of the hobby. There is no place for egotism here. -Dan
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kinda things is why I gave up and got my '79 and '81 Type 2s off of eBay in PCGS plastic. Spending $250 for a $12 coin is too scary!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Hey, there are two varieties right now. If these happen to be different varieties, then it would change the values for those coins considerably( even if the ones in the picture are found to be the most abundant.) Look how many varieties there are in the Bust Half series. -Dan
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the problem with someone asking a numismatic question about modern varieties?

Nothing at all. In fact, I like moderns and I like modern varieties. I just happen to be unimpressed by this particular one. After all, it doesn't seem to be the type of coin that people would chase without being prodded by coin dealers and album makers.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the problem with someone asking a numismatic question about modern varieties?

Nothing at all. In fact, I like moderns and I like modern varieties. I just happen to be unimpressed by this particular one. After all, it doesn't seem to be the type of coin that people would chase without being prodded by coin dealers and album makers. >>

Or the Registry!!!

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 81, they look like type 1, if they were 79, then I could see type 2.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me want to sell my type II.
  • Options
    At the present this is not the series people are collecting, but maybe next year it will be collectible. You gotta keep your mind open in this field if you want to know what is valuable or what is not. -Dan
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I would not have a problem buying this is a type 2 set. As I would bet good money that if submitted to TPGS, they would come back type 2.

I do agree that there does appear in my experience to be a 'tweener variety, say type 3. And the pics do appear to be this 'tweener variety.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file