Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are certain high grade MS 2005 issues going to be very valuable?

I have noticed some issues, especially this years two nickel designs, are almost non-existent in the higher MS grades. Everything is a "satin" or "sms" coin. Or, should these be readily accepted as a standard strike piece?
Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.

Comments

• Options
    Are certain high grade MS 2005 issues going to be very valuable?

Not in our lifetimes.
  • Options

<< <i>are almost non-existent in the higher MS grades. Everything is a "satin" or "sms" coin. Or, should these be readily accepted as a standard strike piece? >>

No .T he satin finish comes only in sets and, is of higher quality. a high quality coin from a roll is more rare due to dings and bagmarks from the mint. Ms68 or higher is rare..
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobertB

After going all the way to the east side of the country to pick up my rolls of "business struck" Lincoln cents, then cherrypicking the rolls( I was on vacation earlier in the year).... I sent the finest three in to PCGS for grading. There was a previous thread about this. Apparently, the satin finish escaped into the business world, too. I got a few full rolls to prove it. I am still looking for die variances to disprove this fact, but you can see for yourself :

My submission number was 3302893, the coins in question are the 2005 cents, Line #5.
    So, I am thinking I have another 197 pennies that have a Satin Finish, with no definitive way of telling the two apart, as of yet.

I'd say the answer to your question is : YES, certain high grade issues will probably be very valuable as they will be tough to come by , from my experience.

Also, with the exception of the AU58 Wide AM cent in the aforementioned submission, all coins were pulled from US MINT and OBW rolls. I hope that sheds a little light for you. The Bison is hard to find in high grade, that is for sure and since the US mint uncirculated sets have a different finish....well, it's speculative, but I'd say YES to your question.

Did you see the post about the MS68, 2005 D Sacagawea on ebay that sold for $2500+ right after being bought through TELETRADE only ten days earlier for $1300 ?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pressure being put on 65+ coins by Registry set collectors will make the price of these coins rise.

Some of the slabbed PCGS 65RD Lincolns from the 20's and 30's that I purchased in the 1990s have hit the roof!

Coins I paid 50 bucks for back then are selling for 150-200 bucks now.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    I'm still looking for 05 MS 65-66 Kennedys for my set, I have looked at over 100 rolls and I found a few 64's at best. They will be hard to get in the near term and will be high in price but I believe in a few years there will be enough made to fill the need's. Allot of collectors are using SMS coins for there circ sets so it sould not be that big of demand needed to fill the needs. Did I mention I'm still looking for my Kennedy's in 65-66image
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I here there is a pretty good demand for Business Strike coins. Besides the Sac D MS68 that sold recently on Ebay at $2500+ a 2005 Business Strike State Quarter also recently sold at 1K +,image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file