Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about buying gold coins, PCGS eagle and double eagle in MS62 for $1100

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
The eagle is dated 1886-S and the Double eagle is 1896.

Both look good IMO. For those of you that buy a lot of gold, is $1100 a good price?

Comments

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    i like to think the proper price for an average ms62 double eagle, now, is right around 600.

so 5 bills for an average eagle in ms62? that is where the seller is
    making his profit.. imho.

I think that is full retail pricing. With gold above 500+, it really makes
    it tougher though for me to decide.

edited to add: i only buy half eagles.. but i do look at the other gold coins on fleabay.
  • It sounds about right, maybe a dollar or 2 high, but decent considering the anticipation of gold prices
    Nick
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave,
    From my limited experience..I have bought about 30 $5 & $10 MS liberties in the last year.....61 and 62 are interchangable and not worth big premiums. In fact you could cover the grade and I would have a tough time knowing what they were had I not bought them.

Search for the better date stuff unless you are convinced you are getting good value. The MS60-62 market may be negatively affected by the Treasury rules starting 1/1/06.
    Have a nice day
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Treasury Rules?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
    Treasury rules....for sellers of gold where the bullion value is (correct me) 50% of the price require SSN reporting by certain sellers who are required to report. So this throws a "net" over 60-62 sales and makes for paper work...among other "issues"image

editpage 75 --
    Have a nice day
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a fair price for the pair. Hopefully that is not the price for each one of them.

I just sold a MS63++ 1896 $20 for $1800. I had tried twice over 2 years for a MS64. Very clean piece that once resided in an old PCGS holder. The cracker artist I sold it to made 64 on his first try. He probably got around $3000 for it.

Be very careful of the slightly better date Liberty gold market of which both of these are examples....esp in MS62 grade. The above cracker artist warned me that the premiums listed on the sheets are very difficult to get. He basically said the slightly better date Lib market is currently near death. Unless you have 62+ coins that are very clean with some blast, you may not get much more than type coin prices. Just had a blasty looking 1905-s $20 in 62 that I got a $25 premium to type, that was it.

Both of those dates are common enough in 62 to satisfy the number of date collectors 10X over. I know some dealers who had dozens of MS62 better date $10 libs in the 1880's to 1890's and are asing $800-1200 for them (keep dreaming). I would think it would be much better to purchase a nice 63 type coin of either the $10 Lib or $20 Lib. You get a higher grade with many more people needing a 63 for type. The exception to this is when you have PQ examples of your MS62's and in 63 grade they go up 3X. If that's the case, then paying an extra $50 or so could prove to be a wise choice.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    RR
    <<Be very careful of the slightly better date Liberty gold market of which both of these are examples....esp in MS62 grade. The above cracker artist warned me that the premiums listed on the sheets are very difficult to get. He basically said the slightly better date Lib market is currently near death>>

That's sure the truth. I bought a 92-s PCGS 62 that "the PCGS price guide" lists as $14xx+ for $6xx. Be very careful with the PCGS price guide with better date gold.
    Have a nice day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file