Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

proof morgans

how do you tell a proof coin from a business strike?

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    You can always tell from the level of detail and its crispness and the surfaces and the squared off rims. A proof Morgan is always going to be very distinctive from a business strike.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    could you check out e-bay 8366115903 and let me know what you think?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Definately NOT a proof...

Dennis
  • Options
    There was not many proof morgans struck.
    the words PL and DMPL describe the way the coin looks..
    Proof like.
    I havent seen a Morgan yet, that has the letters PR on it from PCGS or NGC . It describes the word and, coin as being Proof. This is the only way to tell If it is minted as a proof coin.
    Then again many dmpl coins may be proof.
    Other members know more about the history of Morgans than I do.
    good luck.

I would like to see some Proof Morgans, if you have a picture post.
  • Options
    I just e-mailed the guy and asked if I sent it in and it was'nt a proof would he refund my money still waiting.............
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I agree that identifying a proof Morgan from a business strike can be nearly impossibe. However, that coin is not even well struck.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    I don't trust the coin (it looks AT, whether a Proof or not) or the seller. He states within his listing "I guarantee the coin is a Proof Morgan, but am selling it as is." Translation - I guarantee nothing. image
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Bought raw on eBay a couple years ago...

Sans holder - regraded and went PCGS 64 Cameo:
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that identifying a proof Morgan from a business strike can be nearly impossibe. However, that coin is not even well struck. >>

I dont think all proof morgans were "well struck" especially from philly. (russ's new lense takes some mighty nice pictures though) those look well struck though.
  • Options
    wow! imageimageimage
  • Options
    well I won the coin not from rebidding I would have taken it back if it was a few more days away.The seller said in his e-mail to me that he would back the coin if I have it graded my next question to this forum is how fast could I get the coin graded by pcgs
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    With few exceptions, I like DMPL's better than proofs
  • Options
    The old red Books said be careful of DMPLs offered as proofs.
  • Options
    I also like dmpl and I have a few but I do not have a proof morgan dennis88 thinks it is not Mark also has the opinion I think that these 2 alone know alot more than I do.Its not the money but the idea of having a proof well if its not a proof then I will send it back.If it is it will have a special spot in the collection,but the question remains would pcgs certify as a proof and what would be the fastest turn around time?
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the way the coin looks. I really don't like this...

<< <i>I mention this to let you know in advance that I guarantee the coin is a Proof Morgan, but am selling it as is >>

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    well here is the e-mail "I will refund your bid price if it does not certify proof,but I know it is proof thanks Ed" the guy has many sales mostly in cards maybe someone in the trading card forum knows him his feedback is not to bad considering all his sales. I also value your opinion o mad one.
  • Options

<< <i>but the question remains would pcgs certify as a proof and what would be the fastest turn around time? >>

I can't tell for certain from the images whether it is a Proof. Due to what looks to be artificial toning, however, I expect it will not grade at PCGS, even if it is a Proof.

There are turnaround times as fast as 1 day, but that costs $100. There are other submission options such as $50 for 7 days, $30 for 15 days, etc. Days listed are working days and there are often delays.

I think you're looking for trouble with that coin and that seller. If the coin doesn't get holdered at PCGS, you don't necessarily have evidence/proof that the coin isn't a Proof, only that PCGS wouldn't grade it (due to artificial toning, cleaning, whatever). The seller would still have an out unless he guarantees you that PCGS will holder it as a Proof. Then there's the potential problem of trying to get a refund, etc.
  • Options
    well I will have to agree if the coin does not grade proof then I am out some money and I will have to deal with the headache of a refund if I back out of the sale I will get a neg that does'nt bother me to much but it does not seem fair to the seller.I have reviewed all his feedback and it seems he has porked a few people I am going to call him on monday to ask him why he feels that this is definitly aproof does he have paperwork? and why did'nt he have it certified before listing it.the price of having it graded at pcgs does'nt bother me I may be able to work a deal to have him submit it if I pay for it.
  • Options

<< <i>I may be able to work a deal to have him submit it if I pay for it. >>

I would urge you to try to get that done (without paying out anything other than grading fees unless the coin is holdered as a Proof by PCGS), if possible. Good luck - I'd love to be pleasantly shocked by the outcome.
  • Options
    thanks for your help Mark.
  • Options
    the dealer agreed to submit this if I pay the fee.it has been submitted to pcgs as my coin dealer agrees that it looks proof to him so time will tell wish me luck!the pictures for the auction are shi**y compared to the coin in hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file