Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2004-05 SP Authentic Hockey RR24-Sidney Crosby

Against my better judgement I decided to buy a box of 2004-05 SP Authentic Hockey in a local card shop this morning. I usually don't open new stuff as I do mostly 70s PSA hockey. I figure opening new stuff is like playing the lottery, which I very seldom do as it is a losing proposition, but as I had some extra cash and there was only one box there I felt the urge to open something today. The owner had Ovechkin $350 and Crosby $500 written on the sign attached to the box. Now I thinking "yeah, I get one of those, fat chance".

I get home and start cracking packs, get a Saku Koivu autographed card about 3-4 packs in, about 10 packs later I get a Kovalchuk-Lehtonen dual autograph redemption card, and then 5 packs from the end I get the RR-24 Penguins Rookie Redemption card.

Now the questions for you guys, what next? I have never redeemed a card in my life as I don't do new stuff. Should I redeem the card through the UD web-site, get the Crosby card and submit it to PSA, how long will this take and how much is a PSA 9 or 10 Crosby worth? Or should I just sell the redemption card either here or on ebay? I see a few redemption cards in the completed sales at $365-$475, with no Crosby SP Authentic sales at all.

Comments

• Gameused:
    I would redeem the card and sell it on ebay when you receive it. Upper Deck varies on delivery time. I just got a rookie showcase card of Dion Phaneuf in about 1 month. I have had other redemptions take over 4 months. As far as selling the card, it depends on whether you need the money right away.

Nice pull!
    Wayne
  • The big drawback with doing an UD redemption is that they ship the darn thing in a plain white envelope!!! It may arrive in good shape, but there's a big risk.
    << image >>
  • Steve, sell that bugger on eBay as quick as you can list it. As mucky said you could get the card back from UD creased or God forbid the kid gets hurt. He'll never be hotter than he is right now.

Selling your 70's & buying modern? image I'm so confused.
    But good luck with the sales.

JMO, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I was told by UD that the R24 redemption will not guarantee you the Crosby card. In fact, you may receive Malkin which everyone forgot about who was the #2 pick for Pittsburgh in 2004. If I had this card, I would sell the redemption card right now. Last I remember, people were paying $450 - $500 at the start of the season for it thinking it's a sure thing that they'll get the Crosby; but it's cooled down since. I also think that he will not get Calder Trophy (ROY). It will be either Ovechin (leader in scoring for a crappy team by a rookie) or Svatos (3rd in scoring for rookies this year with only 13 minutes avg of ice time per game). Crosby & Ovechin averaging 20 minutes of ice time per game. My vote goes for Svatos of Colorado.
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    to quote the movie Trading Places

SELL SELL SELL!!!!!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, the redemption card will go on ebay later tonight, probably a 10 pm start on the east coast.

ONLYPSAHOCKEY, I figured with the cheap listing day I would risk the $2.50 to list my sets. If they sell, I will just start a new set with the $$$, If they don't sell, no big deal, I will just continue with them. If they do sell I am very comfortable with the prices that I'm asking, I'm not going into the new stuff, just bought the box on a whim from Mark at Slapshot.
  • <<I'm not going into the new stuff, just bought the box on a whim from Mark at Slapshot.>>

Steve, Good to hear. How's Mark doing? I haven't been to Slappy's since Keith worked there on the weekends. Must be 10 years ago. He must be pissed with Phil opening his new place right down the road.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
    Marks doing good. He didn't even mention Phil's place at all the other day. Phil does mostly signed mem, as Mark has a nice card business, filling sets, selling wax and singles. The two places aren't very much alike at all. I think they each have a seperate following and should both do OK.

• << <i>Marks doing good. He didn't even mention Phil's place at all the other day. Phil does mostly signed mem, as Mark has a nice card business, filling sets, selling wax and singles. The two places aren't very much alike at all. I think they each have a seperate following and should both do OK. >>

Again good to hear. I always got along well with Mark & Barry back in the day. I bought a sweet sweet sweet 79 Topps set from them. I was concerned about the Gretzky so Mark laid 5 Gretzky RC's on the counter & said take your pick. Very cool. You're correct about Phil moving more into the memorabilia side. He went from having the largest card inventory around to doing next to nothing with cards. He refused to get into the whole grading thing. He does well with the signed stuff and the memorabilia. He's been leaning that way since the Kowloon auction days.

How'd your sets do?

Thanks, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00

<< <i>How'd your sets do? >>

The 1973 partial set, 70%, was the only one that sold. It went for the opening bid of $1295. Iy was the set that I was most willing to sell so it worked out great in that respect. I listed the Redemption card last night and as of this morning it was already opened at $299, overall a great start to the new year.
  • Congrats on the Redemption pull. I just pulled a Crosby from UD 05/06 Hockey card #201. The card looks real good, may send it in for grading.

Gameusedhoop, was that you that had the 1985 USFL PSA 10 Flutie? Did it sell?

Brian

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marks doing good. He didn't even mention Phil's place at all the other day. Phil does mostly signed mem, as Mark has a nice card business, filling sets, selling wax and singles. The two places aren't very much alike at all. I think they each have a seperate following and should both do OK. >>

Plus Phil has a bit of a reputation as well, at least on the North Shore. I hope Mark stays around. I have been going there since I was a kid! Did you guys know Russo moved Fenway sportsworld to Newbury street? He is doing incredible!!! He just has basically the signed stuff, but is no longer assocaited with the other sportswprld....to the best of my knowledge! Go North shore!!!

<< <i>Gameusedhoop, was that you that had the 1985 USFL PSA 10 Flutie? Did it sell? >>

Yep, the Flutie sold. Here is the breakdown on the 85 USFL cards:
    Flutie PSA 10 $251.39
    Kelly PSA 10 $221.39
    White PSA 9 $21.00
    Young PSA 9 $41.00
    Not bad for a set I picked up a week before for $345 on Ebay which included the four cards mentioned. I haven't even opened the rest of the set to see if there are even cards in it, it may just be a chuck of plaster or something. I should probably take a look when I do another submission.
  • The RR24 is the Crosby according to Beckett's - complete list in the link below :

Rookie Redemption 2004-05
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199
    ebay the redemption. Let some other poor sap send it in.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    The RR24 is the Crosby according to Beckett's - complete list in the link below :

Well at least that is good news for those that paid the big bucks for that card.