Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you know what is Buffalo Bill's Coin?

Hi all,

i just got back from a short vacation to Denver and thought I would share a few thingsi saw.

First if you want to visit the mint then call at least a week ahead of time to get on the list. After 9-11 you cannot kjust walk up to the tour.

Second - we went to the Buffalo Bill museum and gravesite. Pretty cool place i have read and admired him since I was 10 or so. My wife left me and went to the end of the museum. She said I read everything i see and it takes me forever in a museum.

The neat thing was a coin in the display that he shot during his wild west show.

Can anybody guess the style and year of the coin? Remember he toured Europe as well.

I will leave the question for guesses then give the answer later.

The other cool thing was he actually won the Medal Of Honor in the 1870s during thre Indian Wars. They actually took it away from him because at the time the scouts wre not considered not military personnel. They were considered civilians.
The family fought for reinstatement and finally got it during the 1980s. Talk about slow. Cananybody guess the style and year of the coin? Remember he toured Europe as well.

Comments

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ummm... an 1891 sixpence
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    If you like Bill Cody, you might want to plan a trip to Yellowstone some time and check out the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyo. Lots of neat stuff, including original Remington paintings and sculptures. Cody and Denver kept stealing his body from each other, until Denver poured a couple of tons of concrete over it. Old Bill was't really the kind of man that most people would admire. He was quite the ladies man, had a special round bed made for his adventures. At the same time he was married to 2 woman. Very interesting character.image
    Becky
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget about his home in North Platte, NE "Scouts Rest Ranch". image

No idea about the coin.image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    1938? Buffalo nickle.....image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    When Buffalo Bill would go to lunch during his later years, he would always and without fail, leave a tip which was always in the form of a silver dollar. My Great Uncle, Arthur B. Cody, who was Buffalo Bill's nephew, had lunch with him circa 1910 and when Buffalo Bill placed the silver dollar on the table after the meal, my uncle Art picked it up and replaced it with a paper dollar. That silver dollar currently resides with a family member. My uncle Art lived to be 101 years old and passed away in 1993.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    well with the limited responses i will tell he was supposedly fond of the dollar coin and it was a 1900 morgan. he used to leave them all over Europe when he traveled sort of as a calling card that he was there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file