Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Against my better judgement, I bought

my first PSA card that I fully intend to keep in the holder. The previous three I've bought (all 3s or below) were all liberated the instant they arrived.

Looks like I may start a new wing of the Brett Butler collection....now looking for Butler cards in 9 or better....

Also, for those interested, I have gotten most of the way through scanning my Butler cards and posting them on my site. Linky

Geordie

Comments

• you should have no competition . . .
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you should have no competition . . . >>

really? Sweet!
  • People on here are usually nicer. I apologize on their behalf.

Nice pick-up!!!

• Thats the only player I collect. I loved him from his Dodger days. Race you to the Ebay auctionsimage
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>People on here are usually nicer. I apologize on their behalf.

Nice pick-up!!!

image >>

I agree. I was a big fan of Butler. The guy couldn't chew tobacco worth a damn but he was a hell of a CF.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Brett Butler is thought by many to be a highly under-rated player. Bill James ranks him 25th all-time among centerfielders.

Since it seems everybody else and their brother has a Player set you should request that Butler be added. Best of luck with your collection!
    jmbkb4 - I didn't take offense. I've been around here long enough to get a feel for where people are coming from. I know that some may look at a Butler 9 and wonder, first off, why would someone take a common from '83 and even submit it in the first place. That's why collecting is so fun, so guys like me (and every one of you) can collect to their own odd (but special to them) stuff. I'm just glad I didn't develop a man-crush on someone like ARod or Bonds or Mantle - some superstar with a jillion cards, all high-end. Butler's been a lot easier to collect, with little to no competition. I've currently got 590 different Butlers, with only 42 known examples to go to have a "master" set. So now I have decided to pick up 9s & 10s when they pop up - gives me something else to look for while the very elusive 42 are sought after.

Another wing of the Butler collection that should (hopefully) really taken off is autographs. Butler will be managing the California League Lancaster Jethawks (Diamondbacks A ball) and will be rolling into Modesto CA twice next season. I'm hoping to take my stack of dupes and see how many he'll let me get away with signing. I've heard he is very approachable. Should be a lot of fun.

65nova - since I need very little of what is out there, have a ball. Check out places like bidville, sportlots, the buy/sell area on Buckett, and naxcom. You should find some very good stuff out there.

Geordie
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I really like your website. Well done. The 1987 wrong back pair with Frank Pastore is awesome. How did you find both of those?
    the Pastores? I'm sure I got them together from some evilBay auction - had 'em for years.
    which begs the question - why exactly would smoeone submit a common like this? Seems like a waste of a submission fee. Not that I'm complaining. As long as smoeone wants to pay the fee, I'll most likely snap 'em up....

Geordie
  • spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    They submit it so player collectors like you can snap them up. image Big time submitters typically get a break on submission fees so they aren't paying $10 per common.

OBC the way to be
  • I commend you on your collection! Congrats. I was always a Butler fan. And he is a pretty inspiring human being.

I'm collecting rookie cards of players from the 1985 Blue Jays. So I am probably weirder than you. How many people do you know that are looking for a Willie Upshaw rookie in PSA 9 or 10? image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan I really liked him as a Dodger (and forgive him for ever being a Giant in his past). Great player and seemed like a real professional.

As a collection I think it's fun collecting something that not a lot of others collect. It's cheaper for sure! Anyway, I collect Larry Allen cards and am the only one so not too much competition in auctions! Good luck with your collection.

Happy new year to all.
    well, here's what I've built up so far. I know I way overpaid for the '82 Donruss RC, but it was a 10 and I wanted it, so what the hey. I hope I haven't caught something serious! I was able to get some help in getting a population report on Butler cards that have been submitted - that'll be a huge help in knowing what's available.

Besides these that are in hand, I just purchased a 1984 *9* from 4SC - it is the only 9 with no 10s. Of course I understand that Butler isn't the most collected or submitted player, so I know there won't be a big pool of availables. I did learn that there have been quite a few 1993 Finest refractors submitted (16 have graded a 9). If one of you guys out there has multiples of that, I'd love to pick one up!

Geordie

(1 of 4)

(1 of 4)

(1 of 6 - no 10s available)

(1 of 2 - no 10s available)

(1 of 2 - one 10 available)