Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow!!!!!! Elway rookie

Quote from my favorite movie, Blazing Saddles..........

"HOLY UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!"

Amazing price!!!

Elway rookie

If only I didn't think BGS 10's were a joke. I'm under the opinion that BGS started handing out 10's like my mom gives out my kids candy to keep up with PSA pricewise. Only my opinion of course. But 10's from BGS were suppose to be unheard of, now there are 1000's of them aren't there?? Seems odd.

Either way, the point of my post is this. That's ALOT of coin for a 1984 card!!!

Shawn.

Comments

• Options
    He could have at least gone to a buddies house and used their scanner. That digital photo, with the slant to it, distorts its true centering.

Nathan Sr.
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Proof that a fool and his money are soon parted.
  • Options
    Amen, Soxfan!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Amazing - that's the same dealer who got a friendly bump up on the 84 Fleer Update Clemens from a 9.5 w/ 2 10 subgrades to a pristine 10. That one sold for about 20k, I believe. That was revealed by a poster on this board who spoke with the dealer at a show.

However, if Beckett is handing out 10's, they aren't handing them out to me. On most of my submissions, they've been as tough as they ever were. I still do pretty well, so I'm not complaining, but my percentage of 9.5's hasn't changed. I guess it's all in who you know?
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Well I've got to be honest, I certainly don't know personally. My graded collection is small but everything I've sent in has been through PSA. So basically i'm talking out of my a$$.

But when I got back into the hobby around 2001, grading was new to me. And when it was being explained to me, more than one person told me a BGS 9.5 was equal to a PSA 10. But more important, BGS 10's didn't really exist. All I'm saying now is I see them on eBay ALL the time.

I'd like to know how many BGS 10's existed before 2004 and how many there are now. Of course, if most people send modern cards to BGS, maybe technology allows for more 10's???

Seems like a joke to me. Either way I'm sticking with PSA. Now if only they'd get my November submission done.image

shawn
  • Options
    At Beckett, its not who you know,............
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    John Elway just called. He said "you can keep it".
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I'm just glad this sort of nonsense doesn't happen to PSA graded cards. I'm laughing my butt off at those fools paying crazy prices for arbitrary grades given to them by some schmucks at BGS. When will those idiot buyers realize they're wasting their money? If they were smart, they'd stick with PSA only. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And the reserve is not even met.

that card a 10k card as a psa 10?

I'll pass.

I have been offered and turned down $10,000 after recently acquiring this one-of-a-kind card so please don't take this the wrong way, but please don't send emails offering me to end the auction, especially for less than $10,000.

I think he should have taken the 10k I know i woulda. image

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kkkkkkkkkk

Here's the only 10K I have right now Steve.

Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this went for around 20k.

I might pitch in $10 for the rest of the sheet that it came from. How much do those things cost anyway? (There was a Marino rc graded right after it, also with 10 subs for centering, edges, and corners, so I'm guessing they were sheet cut. It's not too easy to find those cards with even "9" level centering, let alone cards that also have pristine edges and corners).
  • Options
    I can't believe there are 7 different bidders over $8,000.00

Like ctsoxfan said << Proof that a fool and his money are soon parted. >> times seven!

JMO, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    It really does not matter how many bidders were over $8000 because the seller made it clear that the reserve was at least $10,000. So anybody bidding under that amount is pretty safe in the knowledge they are not going to be winning that card.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Aro

I am not sure about this but can a seller lower the reserve after bids are in?

If so this could be a scam worth watching.

I think sellers can, but I am not positive,

Steve

Ok ...........If i read this properly it seems you can.

Lowering your reserve or Buy It Now price You can lower the reserve or Buy It Now price any time before your reserve is met, or your listing ends.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    << It really does not matter how many bidders were over $8000 >>

<< You can lower the reserve or Buy It Now price any time before your reserve is met, or your listing ends. >>

Aro, come again?
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    The centering is nice on that Elway rc - probably one of the best that I've seen. However, the bottom left corner appears soft - but it's hard to tell w/ the horrible scan.

I'd take a nicely centered PSA 10 any day over that. $2k vs. $10k - crazy.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    10 K !
    Lord have mercy !
    That is just way beyond ridiculous
    I will never be able to comprehend what happened there .
  • Options
    Too bad I can't see what the card looked like, so I could have compared it to my virgin .
    Geezis with someone out there willing to pay that kind of chingaling , it's worth takin a shot .

I don't sell my stuff but man , for that price !
    I could get a LOT of STUFF and another Elway just to have
  • Options

<< <i>The centering is nice on that Elway rc - probably one of the best that I've seen. However, the bottom left corner appears soft - but it's hard to tell w/ the horrible scan.

I'd take a nicely centered PSA 10 any day over that. $2k vs. $10k - crazy.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

No doubt, the last 2 Elway psa 10's have gone for $2000-ish. Why pay 5x that for this card, even if it is 1/1? If GRA 10 Elways were a pop 5, would that make them more valuable?

joe