Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Biggest($ Value) Graded Sportscard Trade in History

I have been asked a couple of times to summarize a deal I did with Don Louchios earlier this year where I traded to him a large number of low pop T206s for 16 33 Goudey Sports Kings I needed(15 in psa 8) with a bit of background.

Don Louchios has by far the finest T206 card collection in the world. In fact, he may have the finest card collection period. Don approached me earlier this year and said he had a near duplicate set of 1933 Goudey Sport Kings in psa 8(!!!!!) and he would trade me 16 of the 18 cards I needed to complete the set(including the Cobb, Ruth and Bobby Jones) for 25 T206s I had that he needed. As I had put my quest to do a T206 set in psa 8 on hold and I consider the 1933 Goudey Sport Kings set to be the most desirable pre-war set out there, it was a deal I was anxious to do.. However given the value of the cards(probably the cards had a value when the trade was done of close to $100K on each side) this was not easy to do.

I talked to 3 leading national dealers about value. Determining the value based on recent transactions for the Sport Kings was not difficult as most had been sold at auctionn recently. However since many of the T206s were pop1 or pop 2, this was more challenging. I came up with values based on pop that had the cards I was trading to Don somewhat higher than what I was getting. To close the deal, Don "threw in"a few Batter Ups in psa 8, a 52 Topps high number psa 9, 51 Berk Ross Snider and Mays in psa 8 and a number of 58 Topps cards I needed in 8.

I flew out to Beverly Hills to deliver the crads to him in person and also had the opportunity to meet his lovely wife. Don is as passionate about vintage card collecting as one can be. It was a great experience.

Don and I subsequently completed a trade for one of the two remaining cards in the set in exchange for some M116s and a 39 Play Ball he needed.

Anyway, here are the majority of the cards in the deal. I should add that I think that the deal was fair and noone got the better of it(as it should be). Here are most of the cards in the deal as I remembe:

Jim trades 21 psa 8s including 5 pop 1s, 7 pop 2s and 9 pop 3 or higher including the Lajoie portrait, Marquard portrait and Crawford throwing and 4 psa 9s including a Tinker(bat off) pop 1--I hated to lose this--

Don trades 15 Sport Kings in psa 8 including Cobb, Ruth and Bobby Jones and the Holman in psa 7 plus the above mentioned cards.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    All I can say is WOW image, and congratulations to both of you image.. you guys are playing in a league way above mine!!! image
  • Options
    Great story Jim. I was curious as to what the trade consisted of, but was too polite to ask. Thanks for sharing and congrats to you and Don for improving your collectionsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>

Jim trades 21 psa 8s including 5 pop 1s, 7 pop 2s and 9 pop 3 or higher including the Lajoie portrait, Marquard portrait and Crawford throwing and 4 psa 9s including a Tinker(bat off) pop 1--I hated to lose this--
    >>

Don Louchios got the far better deal if you are looking at value. The T206 cards that you traded are incredible. The important thing however is that you both received cards that you needed so congratulations to both of you if you are both happy.

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    That is like the Alex Rodriguez for Manny Ramirez trade, only it really happened.
  • Options
    Great deal for both of you and i have to second that Don is a great guy with an amazing card collection!image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    Don't forget to mention the 1934 Batter up Dickey in a PSA 8. That was a pretty big card as well.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Bocaratondefense,

You really can't say that if you don't know what cards were involved. I know what the value of the 33G SKs are and they are around $100K based on prior sales. The way you would reach that number is if you valued the T206 pop1s at at least $6,000, pop 2s at $4,500 and Tinker at about $15,000--pretty aggressive numbers.

Anyway, neither one of us wanted to get the better of the deal--we each wanted what the other had and strove to make it as fair as possible.

Shane,

Absolutely.

What you guys are saying about Don is completely true. I have found him to be a real gentleman who I think prefers to stay out of the limelight as far as his collection is concerned--but in terms of overall quality, its right up there with Charlie and Marshall.
  • Options
    Sport Kings are nice but plentiful. Several times a year high grade sets are offered in the major auction so really they are just a matter of money. I think prices are particular high these days due to the recent news story about Memory Lane's private sale of the PSA 8 set.

T206s in PSA 8 and PSA 9 are a different story altogether. Most of the T206s that were traded away are irreplaceable.

21 psa 8s including 5 pop 1s and 7 pop 2s
    9 pop 3 or higher (including the Lajoie, Marquard and Crawford)
    4 psa 9s (including a Tinker)

I would imagine Lajoie, Marquard and Crawford in PSA 8 would exceed $4500 to 6000 each. $15000 for a one of a kind PSA 9 Tinker seems conservative.

You are right in the I do not see every card in the trade, but at first glance it seems like you gave up a lot. In any event I am sure you gave it a lot of thought, so congratulations on pulling off a big trade.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim has an incredible collection and so does Don. The issue at hand is that both collectors need what the other has and the trade makes since to both parties. I don't know Jim that well, however the two things that I do know of him is that he buys when it is low and it makes since and he sells at an inflated price if you really want the card. I know for sure that both parties came out feeling good about the situation and that is the only thing that matters.
    Jim- I have some GMs available in really high grade if you want to do a large trade as well.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see what the prewar gurus on Net54 think of the deal, especially as to the appropriate valuation of the low pop T206s. In particular does the obvious trend where midgrade prices are going to the moon and bear no relationship at all to the SMR apply to high grade as well.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Shane said it spot on.

Both have passion for the sets they work on and the deal was good for both.

JIm hope you have a great 06!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Jim

Very cool stuff. It looks like you both got what you wanted. Thats what it is all about. Good luck with the rest of your sets and one day I will get the garden state to view it

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Boca,

Mostly valid poits--however some 33 Goudey Sports Kings in 8 are tougher than you think and there is a value on getting almost all of them at once. Also, 3 leading vintage dealers thought that it was roughly fair.

Jim
  • Options
    Shane,

Thank you for being patient. Its a new year--I upped my card budget by 33% and would love to see what you have here.

Litigator,

Not much graded card knowledge on Network 54--this is in contrast to the incredible knowledge that exists overall there for prewar cards.

Steve,

Thanks and good luck on the 65s.

Dave,

I would try to plan my next dealer/collector/grader party around when you think you could come to NJ.

Jim
  • Options
    Assuming the 33 SK's were fairly valued at $100K, then that's about $5K per card for each of the T206 PSA 8s. Based on the recent Mastronet auction where the following cards traded, that really seemed pretty close to fair value to me. But when the cards are such low pop, there is a risk of the cards going a lot higher,... and also a risk that the cards go a lot lower. The fact that these two gentlemen could make a swap with neither incurring that risk ... and both getting a ton of cards they needed ... speaks to what a great trade it was for both of them at the same time.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    There was once a time when money was not the main factor. What one needed to complete a set was all that really mattered. Now please do not get me wrong I realize that when trading a dollar value must be the basis that one goes by. In the case here it seems that both parties got what they wanted and both were happy.

In time it may come out that one "did better" then the other but that should never matter as like kenny states at the time both were happy and got what they felt was fair value.

JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The other thing to remember is that SGC is very strong in T206s...much stronger than they are in 33 Sports Kings.
    So a card with a PSA pop of 3 in T206s may not be as rare as it is in 33SKs or other pre-war sets where PSA is dominant.

• Options
    I agree that if both parties are happy then it's a good trade. T-206's in such high grade are truly "condition rarities" , even though I am always skeptical in regard to a nearly 100 year old PSA (or SGC) mint 9 card, but that's probably for another thread.
    I would assume that Jim had no intention of completing an 8 or better set of t-206, my guess is that those cards were expendable.
    Anyhow, a trade of that magnitude must have thrilling !
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    Jim, thanks for sharing a great story! Glad you and Don were able to help each other out.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    This was a great trade. Both parties "won" in that they added cards they wanted in exchange for those they felt they could part with.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Thanks Ironranger, Lowstartmick and KennyLow,

Its great having a complete PSA 8 set. For those that have seen my display room, I have all cards grouped together on the wall on the left as you walk in--it looks awesome to see all 48 cards together.

Jim
  • Options
    And of course thganks to Frank Evanov--the most generous man in the hobby
  • Options
    Thanks Jim for sharing a story some of us can only dream about. The Sport Kings set is one of my fave top 5 sets of all time. If both parties were happy with the trade, doesnt matter what you gave up. The sense of pride in finishing a set of that magnitude is just under being married to a wonderful woman & birth of children I am sure!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ted
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Jim,
    Thanks for sharing the details on the trade. I think the story brings up a great point. Collecting is as much about "how" you obtain your cards as it is about what is in your collection.

Making friends, sharing stories and helping a fellow collector are the real benefits of collecting. I've always appreciated how you share many kind words about your fellow collectors, not just nuts and bolts details on your collection.
  • Options
    Thank you tkd7--that is very kind of you to say.

Happy New Year.

Jim