Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why would a bidder want to know the reserve?

...and IF YOU LIE you should tell him higher or lower and why?

I would guess tell him it is higher than it is so when he throws a "lower" bid he triggers the reserve. I just cant figure out why they want to know. Just to be annoying!

Comments

• Options
    And what's wrong with telling him the reserve? The most common advice on Ebay's Seller Central forum is to tell bidders the amount of the reserve in your description. There's no reason for it to be a secret - it's just the lowest price you'll accept for the item.
    << image >>
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    From a bidders standpoint I often pass on listings with an undisclosed reserve. If it is an item I want at that point in time I may be inclined to ask what the reserve amount is. If the reserve is too high for my buy price on the item I don't waste my time with it and move on. Why should a bidder watch an item run it's course and then bid their max and not meet the reserve? I'd rather spend my time on items I know I can actually win. Just my two cents.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes will ask.

Some will respectfully decline.

I agree - it's just the minimum accepted amount - it doesn't hurt since if there's not much activity, at least you know you have one bid/winner - providing you wanted to get rid of the item in the first place.

Now, for anyone looking for a score on an item and are concerned with the questions - just set the reserve at a number you can live with.

Jay aka Qualitycards believes in the maxum - start it low and let the chips fall...he's been very successful with that business model.

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike