Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

There's overgrading... and then there's OVERGRADING!

Hell, let's just call it an UNC and be done with it...

Auction Linkypoo

Comments

• JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a bit of cabinet friction on that one which may limit the grade to MS62.image
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    It's a weak strike. image

• << <i>Hell, let's just call it an UNC and be done with it... >>

So it's just a tad on the weakly struck side with smoe cabinet friction thrown in for good measeure ... any third world grading service would clearly know this and grade it appropriately ... PR70DCAM***

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Coming to an ACG slab near you...

So where is this infamous research poll that showed ACG more consistent and reliable than ANACS, NGC, and PCGS?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seriously... these issues did have striking issuesimage. But even on a good day, this is Fine tops.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    At least the seller is not gouging you on shipping fees image

• << <i>Coming to an ACG slab near you...

So where is this infamous research poll that showed ACG more consistent and reliable than ANACS, NGC, and PCGS? >>

In part ...

09-09-02

09-16-02

11-04-02

11-04-02

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the links you provide reveal exactly what I would have expected:

Tier 1: PCGS, NGC

Tier 2: ANACS, ICG

Tier 3: PCI, SEGS

Garbage: ACG

(although personally I would make ANACS tier 1.5; I think they're closer to being on par with NGC and PCGS with darkside material. I realize that any survey would be skewed to almost exclusively lightside grading...)

ACG must have done one hell of a turnaround though image, since the following quote appears in all of AH-COLLECTIBLES auctions:

"ACCUGRADE WAS RATED #1 AS THE MOST CONSISTENT GRADING SERVICE BASED ON THE NOVEMBER 17, 2003 ISSUE OF COIN WORLD REGARDING THEIR RECENT SURVEY. SEE PAGES 62 THRU 66. PCGS WAS RATED LAST WITH THE MOST SCATTERED GRADING."

So is it a flat out lie, selective interpretation of partial results, or what?
  • Oh, ACG was most consistent alright! Consistent in obviously overgrading EVERYthing!
    They were VERY reliable in this regard as well!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile