Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this guy's math make sense? Partial '75 set for $749

Link to Ebay Auction...
of a partial 1975 Topps baseball set.

For the lazy, the guy is selling 465 cards with a minimum bid of $749. He pulled 295 of them from Cello packs. Here's what he writes:

<< <i>I AM WELL AWARE THAT THE BECKETT VALUE OF A 1975 TOPPS COMPLETE SET IS $500. HOWEVER LET'S NOT FORGET, THAT IS THE (NEAR MINT) VALUE. WITH THAT SAID, CONSIDER THAT THE AVERAGE '75 TOPPS CELLO PACK RANGES ANYWHERE FROM $60-$100 IN VALUE AND THERE ARE 18 CARDS IN EACH CELLO PACK. THUS, ONE COULD ESTIMATE THE COST OF EACH CARD ANYWHERE FROM $3.33 TO $5.55 EACH. SINCE THERE ARE (295) PACK FRESH CARDS INCLUDED IN THIS SET... THAT WOULD COST ANYWHERE FROM $980 TO $1,635 TO BUY THEM INDIVIDUALLY. THEN, FACTOR IN THE FORMER PSA 8'S AND THE OTHER HIGH GRADE STAR CARDS INCLUDED, AND THAT IS HOW I CAME UP WITH MY STARTING BID. A BARGAIN IF YOU THINK HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST YOU TO ASSEMBLE THIS SET FROM SCRATCH. THE STARTING BID COMES OUT TO JUST $1.61 PER CARD. >>

By the looks of it, he posted this on $.10 listing day. He's got good feedback but his math leaves me scratching my head.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Makes sense...........to him.

he is attempting to get over on the fact that many are better then near mint.

That Morgan has an ugly print dot.

guy is fishing and hoping that someone will bite.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Don't blame them for tryin'. Pretty nice cards. I think the price is steep and I think everyone else will too. Maybe he will come down after they don't sell. I have asked over market on cards before with make best offer option just to see what something might bring. I say no harm no foul. It least the sh!t is real.

Damian
  • Options
    I have a 3200 count box right from vending...I should see if he's buying...lol
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that you are paying a little extra for the hair on the Don Newcombe card.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    He gives you nice scans - nice enough to see that centering on most of the major cards is terrible. And, if he cracked out some PSA 8's to join this set, and PSA 8 quality is what you can expect, you would be seriously overpaying.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess he thinks he's going to fool a newbie with "reasoning" such as this. Highly unlikely.
  • Options
    THE STARTING BID COMES OUT TO JUST $1.61 PER CARD.

I wonder if he would sell me a few at 1.61 each?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    hi! I am new to the site and thought this was a good as place as any to jump in. I need help because I'm pretty ignorant about cards, thier values and such. I came into a collection of memorablia and really don't know quite what to do with them. I had ALOT of things, until my house was robbed, but there is quite a few nice things left. I'm just not sure how to go about selling them. I would like to make sure that they are appreciated, which I don't. Not being the collector of them. I have a complete set of 1975 Topps regular and a complete set of minis. Looks like mint or near mint condition to me. But then again....what do I know? Also about 200-300 autographed baseballs. 1963 autographed team (Yankees) ball. Some unopened set of cards...The Sporting Newss Conlon collection, it says 1991 edition. Donruss, 36 count, 1989 baseball puzzle and cards. Some football cards by Fleer (Jerry Rice) Skybox (Jim Kelly) and others. Some basketball also.
    Could you help me on how to go about this or point me in the right direction? I would hate to be taken advantage of, or them going to the wrong person. My father loved his collection and spent 60 years collecting and getting autographs. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi desert welcome to the boards.

i would start a new thread and ask these questions.

Title it

NEED HELP or something like that.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    That Yount looks like a 7, and possibly even a 6 due to the upper-right corner.

If that's the best of the bunch... EWWWW.
  • Options
    Somewhere along the way he lowered his price to 649............still too much.

He was trying to get nm mnt prices for nmnt cards.

He was trying to get graded money for raw.

Steve
    Good for you.