Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Harry M. Stevens Panoramics (and a small introduction)

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum as a poster, but certainly an old lurker.

I was interested in knowing whether any of you had any of the Harry M. Stevens panoramic stadium shots that were auctioned off by Lelands in 1996. These photographs were used to demonstrate to advertisers the state of their scoreboard ads for a given year. The image clarity of these photos is astonishing, as they were produced from glass plate negatives. The dates depicted ranged from 1934 to 1956 I believe, and many of the MLB ballparks were depicted, including: Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway, and Braves Field.

Some of these panoramics made their way onto ebay at some point, and I managed to get my hands on shots of Yankee Stadium from 1936 and 1947. It was immediately after that I sold them back to collectors. Why did I do this you may ask?

I am an artist who specializes in painting vintage baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these photos are invaluable resources for my work - as they provide the exact look of stadium advertisement signs from each particular year. Though many photos exist of stadiums from these eras (especially to be found on Corbis and Getty Images), it's harder to find reliable resources in regards to the stadiums from the 1930s and 1940s - which incidentally is my favorite period to depict.

I am not so much into the collectibility aspect of them, as I make high quality photocopies of the images to keep for myself. What I ask of you fellows, is whether you own any of these wonderful photographs or know anyone who does. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in buying any of them per se, but would most certainly love to arrange for high quality scans/photocopies of the panoramics to be made if anyone was willing to do so. I would certainly pay for the time spent, and if desired, would be happy to provide prints of my artwork for compensation.

I have enclosed a scan of one of the photographs I speak of, as well as two examples of my artwork. If anyone can help out in anyway, please feel free to contact me via email/PM/phone/smoke signal.

Hope everyone's holiday has been splendid...

Graig
http://www.graigkreindler.com

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    G,
    Fantastic work. You really have a knack for vibrant color, which always adds dimension to vintage scenes.
    Goodluck!

R

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    any chance you'll move into the college stadium genre? I'd love to get my hands on a tiger stadium, or rentschler field print.

...you're work is eerily similar to donnie miller
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    I remember when those Stevens panorama's were auctioned as well. But, I did not win any.

As a semi-collector of baseball art, I really enjoyed your two examples. Are you doing any of other ballparks such as Forbes, Polo Grounds or others?

Really nice work.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Wonderful work ..very vibrant!

i have no idea of where to find those panoramics ..but there has to be lots of pictures around the net.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for yor replies, and certainly, your compliments...

Duner: I don't have intentions to move into the college stadium genre for my own work, though I am certainly open to commissions if that was a route you were interested in taking. Of course, if Bill Goff and goodsportsart.com change their focus from baseball. then I may end up making them afterall...

In regards to some other work, I have a few pieces done from other stadiums (though in my opinion, they are of lesser quality as they were done some time ago) and have much better (and larger) ones in the works. I am currently working on paintings depicting: Carl Hubbell at the Polo Grounds in 1937, Jackie Robinson at Ebbets in 1947, Ted Williams at Fenway in 1941, Sandy Amoros' catch in 1955, Jimmie Foxx at Shibe in 1932 and a slew of others. Additionally, I have plenty of more images on deck in preliminary stages, including shots of Clemente, Christy Mathewson, Eddie Plank, Honus Wagner, Gabby Hartnett, and tons more. Hopefully, I'll get some of them done in a timely fashion - like before I'm 30.

I do search around the Internet for many of these images, going through every search engine, public library and photo archive that I can find - however, it becomes tough to get what I am looking for because of the obscure dates. Additionally, many photos out there are mislabeled and do not provide me with the information I need. It has only been in these panoramics that I have been 100% happy with evertything provided...

Anyways, if anyone can offer suggestions, I have open ears!! Thanks again for the super kind words,

Graig