Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry sets are a lot like Olympic sports

If you have ever watched the Olympics and see the medal counts, you have to wonder what all of these sports are. The reason you don't know is that no one, outside of those competing, really cares (certainly not a TV audience).

The number of registry sets is becoming the same way. Nothing is more humerous than someone touting some set that falls in the "no one outside of the set cares" group, and wonders why no one cares. They claim how hard the set is to build in high grade, how much money it costs etc. Well, the same is true for the Olympic sports. Just because it takes time and money to do something, do not get upset when those outside of the set really do not care. If it takes outside appreciation for you to build a set, you are in the wrong hobby.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    As the Nike Company once said "You didn't win silver, you lost gold". I make sure I teach that mantra to my daughter every day. Kidding of course.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

How true it is.

Did you ever wake up having the nightmare that all your coins were worth their face value because there was no demand for them any more?!?!

Scary thought isn't it.

Jon
  • Sounds like a case of collect for you only. Not for an investment or to show-off. This of course makes good common sense and I practice both. I consider the money I spend on my coins to be "disposable" and do not count on getting most of it back. Now of course I hope that I could get my money back or even make a profit when/if I sell my favorite coins one day, but if not at least I enjoyed them while I had them.

Zach
  • All of the Registry Sets are obscure Olympic sports that very few people other than the participants ever see. It just happens to be that some have more participants(like Morgan Dollar Basic Set) that are hyping their going for the Gold in Midget Shot Put.... while others are fighting for the Gold in Long Distance Donut Rolling.

And in 190th place in the Midget Shot Put(Morgans) is Ted from Tennessee.... and the crowd roars.

I enjoy it never the less. image