Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Waverly82 fans

All,

I've never bought from Waverly82 before but have seen his raw auctions often sell for big money. I finally dove in and bought a georgous 1964 Topps Bobby Bell rc for $71 (link below for auction). When I received the card, I noticed (by naked eye - not even a loupe) that a hairline crease ran straight down from the word linebacker. The crease can barely be seen (between the B and A in Linebacker) on the scan but it appears as a faint print line. The card was described as NM/MT and I took the seller's reputation to heart when I bid (plus I've never heard anything but praises about him).

I sent an e-mail to him on Friday 12/23 and haven't heard back yet - but I think he mentioned in an e-mail (confirming that he shipped the card) that he would be out of town for a week. I'm not worried at this point, but very dissapointed that a crease was missed that was obvious to the naked eye.

I rarely buy raw anymore and when I do, I only buy from one dealer (oldcardguy) or at card shows (where NM/MT raw is becoming harder and harder to find). I'm not looking for PSA 9/10 material, but if a card is described as NM/MT, I expect it to be PSA 8 material. I guess the point of my post is that its quite a buzz kill when you're excited to win a card you've been wanting for a while and it's not as described.

Regards,

Greg M.

Corrected link
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Greg

One thing about Eric is a no questions asked refund policy. He sells lotsa raw cards and this one may have just gotten thru.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Link does not work?

Stingray
  • I bought a 62 raw off him that had been recolored and sold as NM-MT, I complained and he refunded no problem. I think he kept the shipping charge.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Eric is outstanding; you should have no problem.
    He sells lots of cards at a time; sounds like this one got by him.
    I understand your bummer though - been there myself all too many times.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I put Eric to the test with some '63 Topps:

174 Larry Burright - Eric says: nrmt/mt. Solid card but there was some not visible in the auction scan print snow. I think PSA will call it a 7.

197 Roger Craig - Eric says: Mint. This card had a weird (very) hard to see wrinkle along an edge. Since I saw it, I figure PSA would see it and I returned it.

327 Paul Foytack - Eric says: nrmt+. Rock solid. Chance at an 8.

328 Dick Williams - Eric says: nrmt+. I say recolored corner. This may not have been the case and I would have submitted it to find out, but he just wanted me to return it.

337 Dodgers Team - Eric says: nrmt+. I say nrmt with little chance of a six or an eight.

354 Zanni - Eric says: nrmt+. I say nrmt+. The centering is 65/35 L/R, but this card would not look out of place in 8 holder.

442 Hartman - Eric says: Mint. The card mint, but was just a hair too short and had lots of print dots in the green border. I returned this card.

I ended up keeping four of seven cards. Two of the three returns might have made the advertised grade at PSA. One I didn't want to risk keeping (Hartman), the other (Williams) he wanted to stick to his seven day return policy and not have me submit it.

As a seller he was very classy. He promptly returned emails and didn't complain a bit when I returned the cards. He also didn't pull a fast one as I shipped them back to him with no DC. I will likely buy from him again.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I fixed the link
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I have bought multiple 1960's Dodgers players and Carew's. All have come back from PSA 7's or better. I have yet to get a crease one( knock on wood). He does tend to over grade by 1 grade.
  • He does a pretty decent job in general, I have him as a favorite seller. I have returned cards, but without incident. I wish all ebay dealers were as professional. He may grade 1 high at times, but just when you least expect it, you get a 9 on a nm-mt card.
    Five months later... I finally submit the cards...

<< <i>I put Eric to the test with some '63 Topps:

174 Larry Burright - Eric says: nrmt/mt. Solid card but there was some not visible in the auction scan print snow. I think PSA will call it a 7.
    PSA says - 8 nrmt/mt

197 Roger Craig - Eric says: Mint. This card had a weird (very) hard to see wrinkle along an edge. Since I saw it, I figure PSA would see it and I returned it.

327 Paul Foytack - Eric says: nrmt+. Rock solid. Chance at an 8.
    PSA says - Re-colored

328 Dick Williams - Eric says: nrmt+. I say recolored corner. This may not have been the case and I would have submitted it to find out, but he just wanted me to return it.

337 Dodgers Team - Eric says: nrmt+. I say nrmt with little chance of a six or an eight.
    PSA says - Re-colored

354 Zanni - Eric says: nrmt+. I say nrmt+. The centering is 65/35 L/R, but this card would not look out of place in 8 holder.
    PSA says - 8 nrmt/mt

442 Hartman - Eric says: Mint. The card mint, but was just a hair too short and had lots of print dots in the green border. I returned this card.

I ended up keeping four of seven cards. Two of the three returns might have made the advertised grade at PSA. One I didn't want to risk keeping (Hartman), the other (Williams) he wanted to stick to his seven day return policy and not have me submit it.

As a seller he was very classy. He promptly returned emails and didn't complain a bit when I returned the cards. He also didn't pull a fast one as I shipped them back to him with no DC. I will likely buy from him again. >>

Final results with waverly. Not bad. I got a very elusive #354 Zanni. I assume I should have caught the Dodgers team and Foytack before shipping them, but it must have been surface coloring because I inspected the edges like a hawk after the Williams.
  • Greg,

I think your expectations might be a little too high when buying raw cards. The grading companies have redefined the traditional grades (i.e. NM, NM-MT & MINT). I buy a lot of raw cards and I find that most dealers in the hobby are very poor graders of cards compared to the grading companies standards. I would say that the accepted raw standard for grading is a full grade below that of the grading companies. As far as Eric goes, I find him to be a decent grader. Most importantly I find him to be consistent. His return policy is also as good as it gets. I would assume he just missed the crease. It happens to me sometimes when I submit and it comes back a 5. PSA, on the other hand, is excellent at finding creases.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.

I had to go back to my February --waverly 82 submission. My opinion of Eric has changed and i no longer will bid on his auctions. And i have already contacted him in regards to these cards and told him i will just eat em'. I am not going to re-sell bad cards on ebay.

1 31510885 1962 TOPPS 11 TOM MORGAN N/A 6
    2 31510886 1962 TOPPS 69 PHIL ORTEGA N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    3 31510887 1962 TOPPS 418 ANDY CAREY N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    5 31510889 1967 TOPPS 12 DODGERS ROOKIES J.CAMPANIS/B.SINGER Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    6 31510890 1967 TOPPS 130 PHIL REGAN N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    7 31510891 1967 TOPPS 160 WILLIE DAVIS N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
    15 31510899 1971 TOPPS 361 DON SUTTON N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored---card that really pissed me off the most. Thought this would 9!!
    16 31510900 1971 TOPPS 430 WES PARKER N/A 8
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eric wasn't happy i talked about him on this board.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Why don't/didn't you just return them to him for a refund?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    40447XXX 1971 TOPPS 81 FELIX MILLAN N/A 8
    40447XXX 1971 TOPPS 74 TWINS ROOKIES P.HAMM/J.NETTLES 8
    40447XXX 1971 TOPPS 369 CHECKLIST 394-523 N/A 8
    40447XXX 1971 TOPPS 369 CHECKLIST 394-523 N/A 8

i bought these 4 from Waverly..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>Why don't/didn't you just return them to him for a refund?

Steve >>

He has a seven day no questions asked return policy. After that the cards are yours. Fair enough policy.

I had two of four cards rejected, but I would buy from him again. His return policy is fair and he doesn't complain. You are simply out shipping the cards back to him.

I personally feel he is an honest seller. He grades fairly accurately and generally has nice cards. I doubt he is screening the cards as carefully as those who submit to PSA and I don't think he is intentionally selling doctored cards. If I can't find the coloring, I will resubmit at some point. I have a loupe and a black light, but didn't use it. image If I missed coloring on my edges, I have really only myself to blame.

The only problem with that 7 day return policy is---that is not enough time to send in to PSA or figure it out yourself. Even with PSA being nice enough to circle where they say it was re-colored, i still can't tell even with a 40x. I may re-submit these again at some point and time.
  • Carew29 try a black light.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Eric seems to have chanegd his policy. I would like some input

"I do not guarantee how/if a card will grade with any grading company. You have 7 days to decide if you agree with my opinion. After that, the card is yours, no exceptions! ALSO, FROM NOW ON, ALL CARDS WILL BE PLACED IN A SLEEVE AND SEALED WITH MY PERSONAL SEAL. ANY CARD RETURNED, MUST ARRIVE WITH THE SEAL UNBROKEN!!! "

So if they come back altered no $$$ anymore image he has some nice stuff up now
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the new policy is unreasonable. As a buyer, you just have to err more on the side of rejecting a card if you have any doubt in your mind.
    I would really be worried about 71 topps

<< <i>I would really be worried about 71 topps >>

You don't think you can see those edges through a top loader? image

So in other words Eric is now shifting the blame for all of the re-colored cards he sold in the past on the buyers--with his new policy. You guys ought to use the same reasoning as----who do you buy vintage packs from?? Well, you get what you pay for.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I'm 0-2 in dealing with Waverly. Not worth the hassle to get said item, review said item, return said item, get refund for said item. I'd rather spend time trimming nose hair.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not had good luck with waverly the few times I've bought from him. He seems to sell an extrodinarily high amount of altered material. I'm not accusing him of tampering with the cards but he seems to get his inventory from not so great sources. I mean I never had a problem with recolored '75s but I got several in a set I bought from him a few years ago. I also had a '57 common that was rejected for trimming. The % of rejection is just too high, coupled with the insane prices his cards go for. It's not worth my hassle to bid on his stuff anymore.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep this scan to remind me not to buy from him (the percentage of problem cards relative to price is too high - as Gemint said)....

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he is better for the "raw set" guys.
    Mike-

Were you able to spot the coloring? I had two '63s kicked from waverly that I couldn't find the marking. Nothing on the edges, nothing jumped out even with a black light.

You and me aren't the only ones with a pair of reminders.

<< <i>

<< <i>I would really be worried about 71 topps >>

You don't think you can see those edges through a top loader? image >>

ok add 62 topps to the list as well :'(