Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question For Star Co. Basketball Experts

I just picked up three 1985 Bucks bagged team sets. I was reading in one of the old yearly Beckett books that one of the cards was pulled(#10 Larry Micheaux) because he was no longer with the club when they handed these out. But they also listed the card in the book with a value of $50.00 at the time. Is it safe to assume that some made it through and some didn't?? I hate to open them but I was curious if maybe I got lucky.
On a related note has anyone submitted any of these team bags to GAI?? The reason I ask is I was curious what they look for in terms of the actual bag the cards are in. Mine have nice tight seals and no tears but the plastic is a bit dull from age. Just curious if they are worth sending in.

Comments

• Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    According to Beckett, the set you are talking about with the Micheaux was the 1985 Bucks Card Night set which is a 13 card set given out during a game on Jan 21, 1985. The Micheaux was pulled after the printing. I do not know how to tell whether you have one or not but their are 12 cards in the set minus the Micheaux. The first card should be Don Nelson and the last should be Paul Pressey. If this is the set you have, I might either open one of them or try to count the cards.
    Mark
  • Options
    That's the one I have and was thinking of trying to count them as well.
  • Options
    Let me know how that goes. I love the old star sets and want to complete them. I have read many articles about the fakes and I just don't know whether to bid on any of the sets I see on ebay. I was lucky enough to buy the Miller Light set as well as the Gatorade set back in 85 or 86 from a dealer at a local flea market.
  • Options
    Well I'm 100% sure these are legit. Found them at a local Nascar store I stopped at to look at some Bucks posters the owner had. He had a bunch of junk packed away in a box and I saw these three and bought them. He's had them since they were handed out so I'm confident they are original.
  • Options
    I just purchased this set with buy it now. This is a steal in my opinion. I hope they are all legit. With the graded cards in tow, I think I will be alright. This is one of those purchases that you know you won't ever make money but you just have to have it as a collector.
  • Options
    Very Nice!
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    You may want to email Steve Taft (stevetaft@aol.com). He has always been VERY helpful to me with any basketball card questions I have ever had. Hope this helps.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards