Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tape on reverse of some nice stuff

I am looking at a some 52 topps - all are nice and would most likely grade 7 and above - except the majority of the cards have tape on the reverse - the Campanella here is literally the worst condition card I could find in the group

Anyone have any methods for removing the tape without damaging the card - and I guess i am stuck with the tape residue or staining? or not?

Comments

• Options
    The only solution that I know of that will remove tape is toluene. I tried this on a '69 Yaz back in High School over 20 years ago after reading an article about it in SCD. I remember that the tape came off, but the card still showed obvious signs that the tape was there. In fact, the ink smeared in several places, I assume in reaction to the toluene. Toluene is highly explosive and a component of TNT and I wouldn't recommend messing around with it. It's also hard to obtain. The only way I got it was because my dad worked for a company that used it in their lab. It may be even harder to get now. However, since you asked, that's the only thing I know of that has been touted as a tape remover.

Todd
  • Options
    Try Bestine.I've worked in digital graphics for 10 years.I have used this product almost as long.The main ingrediant is heptane,which evaporates quickly.This adhesive solvent can be applied to one side of a graphic and not affect the other if it is applied sparingly.This can be accuired at any full service art supply store.It's original purpose was to thin rubber cement. I would follow that up with "sandwiching" the cards between "PH Nuetral" paper (with some pressure) for a period of time.The PH neutral paper will cause any acid,(the yellowing on the borders) to migrate to the PH paper.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Hmm...sounds like a thread on card restoration, doctoring etc. is about to happen.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I'm new to this forum.I have worked with rare and valuable artwork as a professional picture framer in addition to my graphic work.Any information that I would give would be from one collector to another to preserve or restore the works at hand.I have posted threads on forum 54 on these subjects. Restoration is negligble at best,but doctoring is a little out of bounds for what I am talking about. By the way,Mantlefan,I love your pic! I'm not trying to copy!
  • Options
    Sorry,guys and gals !! I hit the wrong button. I felt the need to respond to this thread because I felt I had something to offer. No other reason !! Open discussion is what this is all about,isn't it ?
  • Options
    I think Frank is just being argumentative. Obviously we are not talking about card restoration here -- we are talking about removing something off a card, not rebuilding a corner or touching something up.

Oh wait there is some wax on my card -- so I use a pair of pantyhose to get it off -- arggghhh I just restored the card -- same concept - removing something off a card in the way that leaves the card in the best shape.

or maybe there is some "booger" type something on a card that is hard and stuck to the card - but I can flick it off -- oh no I am guilty of card restoration

I simply asked did anyone know a good way to remove tape to diminish the amount of damage done to the card - or maybe it is just better to leave the tape on. I'll check over on 54 for your thread -- Thanks - TJ

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think Frank is just being argumentative.

Doubtful

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    i mentioned this before but I had great luck removing mailing labels off of si magazines by using a hair dryer. I have not tried removing tape from cards. I would imagine if you were careful that you could remove some of the residue that way.
  • Options
    By the way, nice card ! Be careful what ever you do ! I've never used this solvent on cards,but I have used it to erase ink spots and adhesive on digital graphics.It is a petrolium based product,so it doesn't break down most inks used today.I would use this as a catalyst to loosen any adhesive that is present.The Bestine will evaporate quickly enough to keep the card from warping,the key would be to sandwich the card between PH neutral paper just after that procedure.Check with a local framer and ask for 1 ply Rag paper.It will be 32"x40",so you can cut in 2.Put the cards between them(with pressure) for a few months.You will see that the acid burn from the tape will be "migrating" to the PH neutral paper.You have to be patient.