Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards you wish you didnt sell

With all the talk at times about how graded cards go down in value and pops only get higher and higher(and for the most part it is true) Today i was thinking of a few cards I would like to have back that I sold and definitely would be worth more today.
#1 1978 Nolan Ryan Psa 9.......I purchased this card with a complete 78 set about 4 years ago for about 200.00. About a year later I sold the Ryan on ebay for I think around 200.00. Basically a free 78 set but boy would I love to have that card back.A tough one for sure and it was a beauty.
#2 1971 Munson Psa 8......About 3 years ago I submitted two of these Munsons on one order and both came back 8s. One came from my set and the other was a raw purchase at the Atlantic city National.
Sold one and it went for around 300.00 at the time. Not enough of this card to go around now a days.
Oh in case anyone was wondering the other one is locked in a dark place and most likely wont see the light of day for awhile.

#3 The sleeper card 1976 #6 Rennie Stennett RB PSA 9.......What a tough card.Im trying to find an 8 for a set Im working on and I have looked through tons of raw out there.No luck.Anyone help??
Anyways ,at the time it sold on ebay,I think nobody(including myself) had any idea it was a tough card and someone picked it up for a song and dance.
Note that all three mentioned were in the 70s.
Im pretty sure all three of these cards would go much higher today...anyone else???

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    There are two items that I wish to god I wouldn't have sold:

1. Early 60's Micky Mantle all star card (can't remember which year - I think it was 61) that I had signed in person for $15 (back in the late 80's). I sold several years later for $25 so I could buy a box of 1990 Hoops. I'm currently in therapy trying to forget that momentary lapse of reason.

2. I had a game used Ryne Sandburg bat from his rookie year that I traded for $750 in vintage football cards. Even through I got quite a few cards (including a Red Grane 55 All American) the condition of the cards was EXMT at best.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    There are two items that I wish to god I wouldn't have sold:

1. Early 60's Micky Mantle all star card (can't remember which year - I think it was 61) that I had signed in person for $15 (back in the late 80's). I sold several years later for $25 so I could buy a box of 1990 Hoops. I'm currently in therapy trying to forget that momentary lapse of reason.

2. I had a game used Ryne Sandburg bat from his rookie year that I traded for $750 in vintage football cards. Even through I got quite a few cards (including a Red Grane 55 All American) the condition of the cards was EXMT at best.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    thats real easy,

1956 topps mantle psa 7 sold it for 1100.00 still havent found that card that well centered.

and on a side note, I wish you hadnt sold that other 1971 psa 8 munson either.image
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    I had 1959 Mantle that was in bad shape, but Mantle autographed it for me in 1981. I sold it in college on hard times when I needed the dough to live. The card was at best a PSA 2, but 1.) with the auto it would be worth a lot more now and 2.) the money aside, that card had sentimental value I can't buy back now.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Greg-

Do you ever get deja vu?

This is always enjoyable to read. And it comes up every now and again. I don't feel like retyping so I will link to a past thread and am not looking to derail this one.

Past Wish I didn't sell...
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Back in the early 80's, I bought two close to mint 75 Brett's for 60 cents each. They were in the commons box at a local dealer, and living in KC of course Brett was my favorite player. I think the card actually booked for a few bucks back then, but the dealer only charged my 60 cents each. Anyway, I promptly went home and being the nice kid that I was, sold one of them to a friend across the street for 60 cents! Luckily I still have the other one.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    #1 - 1940 Playball #1 Joe DiMaggio not graded but would probably grade a 7 with an outside shot at an 8.

#2 - 1969 Brooks Robinson that would grade no lower than a 10. What a beautiful card that was.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    A Bird/Johson rookie that I pulled from a pack. Sold it at a cut rate price (even by 1992 standards). It was in perfect condition and would graded a PSA 9 if I still had it today.
  • Options
    Ouch!

<< <i>A Bird/Johson rookie that I pulled from a pack. Sold it at a cut rate price (even by 1992 standards). It was in perfect condition and would graded a PSA 9 if I still had it today. >>

• Options
    All of my Peyton Manning rookies.....Had 5-10 of all of them.image
    Collecting UT Alumni....
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a beautiful 1957 Ted Kluzewski (with the bulging biceps) that was an easy 8 with a very good shot at a 9. Dripping gloss. Paid $20 for it in 1989. Sold it for $50 about a year before ebay/psa took off. One of the nicest vintage cards I have ever owned.

I also remember buying 3 cases (of 24 or 36) of Topps Fun-Pack Bags back in 1984-ish (paid about $100 at a Woolworths closeout). They each included a bunch (maybe 8 packs each) of 1980-81 Topps Hockey, 1981 Topps Football (Montana Rookie), and Raiders of the Lost Ark cards - all unopened wax. I sold 3 large boxes of unopened Football packs (maybe 400 packs?) for $40 a few years later. Made about 10 sets each of the darn DP hockey and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Where did I park my stainless DeLorean with the flux capacitator?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Wow......I see that I am not the only one regretting selling my psa 8 71 Munson......think it went for around $350 a the time, now I am looking again but probably will end up paying around $500 if one even turns up, havnt seen any lately.

Other notable lapse of thinking was trading an absolutely gorgeous 78 Eddie Murray around 1986 or so for a 1981 fleer set. Oh well !!!
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    As you can see I CANT sell anything! image

Matt
  • Options
    A 1954 Topps Hank Aaron my dad gave me that his mom put in a book. It was at the least a 6 but more like a 7...........I still have tears
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    I sold a '55 Koufax (most likely PSA 7-8) along with my ''55-78'' collection in '83,just out of high school for an insanely low price.25,000 card collection ! I still have a hard time sleeping.
  • Options
    Had every single Aaron card in PSA 8 or better & every Ted Williams card in 7 or better (cept Wilson Franks) Thought I would be buried with the 55 Doubleheaders! Have none now. :-(

Now I spend time looking for cards from Duke Sims, Jim Nash, Charlie Smith & Len Gabrielson. What happened??
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.