Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hardest Set to Build, Post 1952

Ok, enough silliness. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the hardest set to put together, post 1952? Any sport. Would love to hear what you think.

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    1961 Dice Game, nothing else would even be close
  • Options
    Ditto. Maybe all 24 1968 Plaks plus the 2 checklists would give it a run for the money..........
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    '55 Felin's Franks. (incredibly rare)
    '70 Topps Test Cloth Stickers. (no complete checklist, let alone a complete set)
    '55 Topps Stamps. (ditto above)
    '61 Dice Game (just plain tough)
    '63 Pepsi Colt '45's (Bateman is impossible)

Just missing the cutoff
    '51 Current All Stars ( only 11 examples exist of Roberts, Stanky and Konstanty)

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bull are you including test issues? if so 1966 punchouts should be condidered.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    In terms of regular issue sets in PSA 8, the 35 card 1969 Topps Deckle Edge set has 8 cards with a population of 1 and the 72 card 1965 Topps Embossed set has 9.
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned 65 Topps embossed? You mean these crappy things I've had for so long might have some desireability? I've really always thought they were butt ugly..

image >>

<< image >>
  • Options

<< <i>Somebody mentioned 65 Topps embossed? You mean these crappy things I've had for so long might have some desireability? I've really always thought they were butt ugly..

>>

Most people would agree with you. I am always in the market for them in just about any condition. If you are interested in selling, please let me know.
  • Options
    1968 topps 3-D would take along time...starting from scratch.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    '59 Morrell Meats Dodgers is a rather tough issue in high grade.
    There is only one card graded 7 and eight cards graded 6; no 8s or better at all.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    54 Wilson Franks Gorgeous cards & virtually impossible to afford for the common man. Bullpen, saw you had an extra 8k. That might get you the Williams in a PSA 4!!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    1977 Topps Mexican Football....or at least the most difficult 3 or 4 cards...hard to find in any condition.
  • Options
    Someone find me a nice Pat Borders #133 in the 1993 Finest Refractors set. I'll pay you well.
  • Options

<< <i>55 Topps All-American Football in PSA 8, 9 & 10's!

rbd >>

Speaking of this issue. Can anyone tell me what it says on the back of the Ed Garbisch card?

My uncle was an All American with Garbisch. They were the first two from West Point in 1921 (?).

I would like to get the card for my father and wondered if they made any reference to Garbisch's partner (Gus Farwick) on the back.

Keith
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to say, 1955 Bowman fb in straight PSA 8, 1962 Topps fb in straight PSA 8 and 1971 Topps fb in PSA 8.5+. The 71's are TOUGH even right out of a pack.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much *ANY* Topps Venezuelan set. Pick a year - and it's tough.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    1955 and 1957 Parkhurst Hockey! The 55 Lumley , The Forum and Mapleleaf Gardens card do not exist in NM MT condition!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I guess you'd have to factor that you have absolute unlimited resources to arrive at some conclusion. Typically, we ALL think the set we are having difficulty with is the toughest. In reality, if you had unlimited resources and used equal effort on every issue you'd remove some of the variables. I doubt, in that case, that anyone could venture little more than a wild guess. In that spirit, I would vote for Wilson Franks, Venezuelan releases or Coke Tips.

dgf
  • Options
    Alan Rosen found I believe it was almost 500 Mint Coke Tips cards some years back in New England, which he immediately broke off into 10-20 sets and sold pretty quickly to some dealer friends and kept the rest for future auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Alan Rosen found I believe it was almost 500 Mint Coke Tips cards some years back in New England, which he immediately broke off into 10-20 sets and sold pretty quickly to some dealer friends and kept the rest for future auctions >>

That is true. Several complete sets are auctioned off each year in the bigger auctions, so I don't know how tough they really are.
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it would be 1988 Fournier Estrellas basketball insert sticker set . only 10 stickers randomly inserted with 7 of the 10 almost non existent.

Also 68-69 San Diego Rockets Jack in the box set, 14 cards with 2 short prints that nobody can find . I am always looking to aquire cards from both of these sets .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    I"ve picked up an almost complete set of Coke Tips in the last year, along with a few dupes. They aren't that tough, basically because the demand for them is so lot.
    The test ones of Mays and Rizzuto are another story though.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    sadly, it is the Mays I seek. Further, I have yet to seen a pristine copy--of anyone-- in person. Mr. Rosen's find was four or five years ago. I thought they were really cool. I have been casually searching since and have yet to see one that wasn't garbage. Perhaps if I could remember my secret hand-shake, my luck would change.

dgf
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Can someone post a picture of the coke tips?
  • Options
    I would think everyone would chime in with images of these...plentiful as they are in high-grade. I'll be stopping at Starbucks today. I'm told they give a complete set with every grande beverage purchase through January 2006. Still haven't seen a high-grade one aside from Mr. Rosen's find, mind you, but they're everywhere. I'm pumped to see the images of these crisp, colorful beauties...schedule intact, flat edges...the works! Really pretty "cards".

dgf
  • Options
    Mastro had not one but two complete sets in their last auction:

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&amp;ContentName=Lot Information&amp;LotIndex=53281&amp;CurrentRow=1

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&amp;ContentName=Lot Information&amp;LotIndex=54834&amp;CurrentRow=1

I am not saying they are common but they do show up in complete sets six or seven time each year minus the test cards.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

<< <i> would think everyone would chime in with images of these...plentiful as they are in high-grade. I'll be stopping at Starbucks today. I'm told they give a complete set with every grande beverage purchase through January 2006. >>

I did some research after I read your post, and actually it is dunkin donuts.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>55 Topps All-American Football in PSA 8, 9 & 10's!

rbd >>

Speaking of this issue. Can anyone tell me what it says on the back of the Ed Garbisch card?

My uncle was an All American with Garbisch. They were the first two from West Point in 1921 (?).

I would like to get the card for my father and wondered if they made any reference to Garbisch's partner (Gus Farwick) on the back.

Keith >>

Thanks Southsider for the scan of the Garbisch card.
  • Options
    I'm gonna change my vote to the Venezuelans....anything better than VGEX is pretty good for that issue.
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭

<< <i>54 Wilson Franks Gorgeous cards & virtually impossible to afford for the common man. Bullpen, saw you had an extra 8k. That might get you the Williams in a PSA 4!! >>

Wilsons can't even compare to the Felin's Franks set that Griffins mentioned. In the past 3 years I have seen one Felin's Franks card for sale. In that time I have seen hundreds of Wilsons for sale, and probably 5 complete sets. Not to say that the Wilsons aren't difficult and expensive. Also the Felin's were never actually issued.
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    Ed Garbisch card #44 center - Army
    Ed's specialty was defeating Navy with his accurate field goals. In his sophomore year a great 45 yard kick provided the winning 3 points. As a senior he sank Navy singlehandedly! Locked in a scoreless ground game, Ed booted the ball through the uprights 4 times for a 12-0 victory.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    1959 Home Run Derby [19 cards of sluggers like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Killer etc plus the host of the show] ...also 1959 Topps Venezuelan.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Wow. A lot of issues mentioned here that I've never heard of, much less seen, so I can't really add much. I'd think the '55 Parkie Quaker Oats set would be a bear, though, since I don't think a single Lumley has ever been graded.
  • Options
    I agree, and went looking for info on some of these sets.
    I came across this site, talk about a compilation of sets..wow!!!

OpenChecklist sets
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    2005 Origins Old Judge Gold #/20!

But seriously, folks, I have to say I never heard of the Coke Tips set till reading this thread, and they look great. I've been casting about for a 50's set to build (manageable but notable like Red Mans or Red Hearts) and might have found it. Too bad they didn't have a more expansive checklist, or at least bigger stars. One of the auctions mentions 3 test cards, with Rizzuto and Mays being present. What's the third?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    I've got my notes at home, I'll have to check for the 3rd test tonite.
    Here's a standard card, relatively available

And here is the May's test, tough, expensive, and often in horrible shape. I've seen about 5, all pretty much like this.

• Options
    1975 Fleer Pioneers of Baseball. A 28 card set with only one slabbed by PSA so far. I have a Ty Cobb from this set but it is horrid condition. Tough to find complete sets or singles and they don't pop up too often. Demand is very soft which might account for the lack of sales. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2005 Origins Old Judge Gold #/20!

But seriously, folks, I have to say I never heard of the Coke Tips set till reading this thread, and they look great. I've been casting about for a 50's set to build (manageable but notable like Red Mans or Red Hearts) and might have found it. Too bad they didn't have a more expansive checklist, or at least bigger stars. One of the auctions mentions 3 test cards, with Rizzuto and Mays being present. What's the third? >>

Very nice thread.

In the 2006 Standard Catalog there are 3 test cards listed: Willie Mays along with 2 Phil Rizzuto cards. One of the Rizzuto cards has pitching tips. Hope this helps.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)