Home Metal Detecting

My first Jewelery Find!! Woohoo!

I was wondering when this was going to happen as I have been doing quite a bit of detecting lately. Im finally starting to get better at using my Prizm III and I am leaving a lot more trash targets in the ground. Found this butterfly underneath some monkey bars at an old school. Hard ground about 4 inches down. It cleaned up pretty nice. It's nothing special, but a first for me. Not to mention my girlfriend loves butterflies and her favorite color is purple... gee I wonder where this is going? image

It only has a single loop in the back so I'm not sure how it was worn. It may be a charm, if it was for a necklace it would hang at an angle:

Here is some other junk I dug around the school (the steel cent is for size comparison) Everything else was modern clad:

I know nothing about bullets so I dont know how old this one is, having no markings. The bottom right object is strange to me, its almost like a blank planchet. It signaled as a quarter and is very smooth on both sides. The side shown has a flat edge and then begins to sink toward the center, like a sweet tart. The back it smooth but curves outward towards the center.

The top left object might also be the back of a bullet, or perhaps a button but I dont think so. It reads "Western 410" and "Made in USA". Any clue? Well, mostly junk but I like the butterfly. Thanks for reading and I hope it warms up for all those stuck inside.

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Congrats joefro.
    Nice butterfly!
    The 410 thing is part of a shotgun shell.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG!

As Tim said, the 410 thingie is indeed part of a shotgun shell. Since the mid-1900's shotgun shells have been made of plastic with a brass end, but the older ones were made of tightly-wrapped paper with a brass end. The paper disintegrated in the ground over the years, leaving just the brass part. Old shotgun shell ends are a pretty common find, even at churches and schools, for some strange reason.

What is the bottom right object? It looks vaguely coinlike!

Your bullet is modern, but that buckle looks like it could be fairly old- maybe from the Victorian era.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Actually, this piece of a shotgun shell still has some of the old red and white paper up inside! And it was found in a school yard, with all of these items.

I have no idea what the bottom right object is, it reminds me of a blank planchet except for the fact that it is slightly concave on one side, and slightly convex on the other??
    I think the buckle is probably off of suspenders or some other kids clothes and may not be all that old. Who knows?

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea what the bottom right object is, it reminds me of a blank planchet except for the fact that it is slightly concave on one side, and slightly convex on the other?? >>

Button, maybe, with the shank off of it?

Clean it and see if you can get some details...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    No doubt you'll soon find a ring, which I'm sure will be exciting as well! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

• << <i>

<< <i>I have no idea what the bottom right object is, it reminds me of a blank planchet except for the fact that it is slightly concave on one side, and slightly convex on the other?? >>

Button, maybe, with the shank off of it? Clean it and see if you can get some details... >>

That kinda looks like a "knock out" to an electric box.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage