Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone know anything about these? Pics included

The pack says 1975 topps football on the front yet baseball shows on the back. I also see some additional basball cards inside the pack. It is clear that this was issued by Topps because the writing on the side runs from the end of the gum to the top edge of the cards (on the side shown in the bottom picture). I am somewhat confused because it says Copyright 1979 Topps Chewing Gum, Inc., along the side of the pack where the writing is. Was this some pack issued later with extra cards Topps printed? Any ideas?

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    if it says "79 topps" on the pack, and you have 75 topps baseball cards showin in the back, and topps football in the front!

My goodness! You have a poster child for a re-packed item, either by a "drunk scammer" or an employee at topps that was playin' an April Fool's joke!

Wierd stuff!

rbd
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I remember when I was younger KayBee stores used to sell Topps packs of cards that contained various years in 1 pack. I don't recall there being any football and baseball included, much less football and baseball and minis also!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I bought some 79 Topps FB in those packs with the gum at the bottom. Before I read that it said 79 I was going to tell you that I knew they did it in 79. I would stay away. Seems like a scam.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    According to topps they were issued in 1979-1981 and had cards from 1973-1981. Topps sold them in the years that the pack illustrated meaning that the 75 cello would indicate that the cards are all from 75, and a 74 cello would mean 74 cards are inside ( year is on cello on the side). It was a marketing idea that the marketing dept had come up with to sell the cards from baseball and football from previous years. They had looked up my pack by the serial number that was on the pack. At least I know the pack is legit. Now I guess Ill contact steve Hart and see what amount of these are around since he is the authenticator for psa.
    Also, if you look at the front of the cello it says "3 pieces of gum" look at the gum that was included.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Hello everyone!
    This pack is amazing! Rumor has it that the Topps company decided to try new ways to market their product during the slow sales brought on by the Vietnam war. Topps had many ideas to 'move' cardboard but only knew of wax, cello, rack, vending, fun bags and Sears Roebuck factory sets (initiated in '74). So, starting in 1973, for a broader market acceptance, Topps placed baseball and football cards into huge cellos without gum in the middle. Instead, they put a pack of gum at the bottom of the group of cards and overwrapped the entire brick in cellophane, thus creating what we know and label today as the "SUPER CELLO". Super cellos were a test run from Topps from 1973-1978 and distributed nationwide from 1979-1981. The 1973-1978 versions contained both baseball and football cards and are unique treasures in today's unopened market. Less than a 24 count box of each year of packs are known to exist! In 1979, Topps produced either baseball or football Super Cellos only and they're extremely rare TODAY! You'll find that either 1980 or 1981 baseball or football Super Cellos are common in today's marketplace. These are the facts and this is a super scarce find! Way to go!!! -Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Global Authentication INC.
    Ryan Rutter
    MASTER Authenticator Of Unopened
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

Sports Collectors Digest 13 Year Perfect Customer Service Award
  • Options
    I was buying cards ,off the shelf,during this period and I remember seeing these !
  • Options

<< <i>MASTER Authenticator Of Unopened >>

Caps button get stuck?? image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the post Ryan.

Also, the gum is rare. I remember when companies came out with super soft bubble gum in the 70s.

It's hard to find any info on this product other than the fact that is was stated the product didn't last very long on the market.

Interestingly, regular gum and cards go back to the 1800s but it wasn't until around 1928 that Fleer marketed Dubble Bubble gum.

Happy New Year
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

But why would the side of the pack say coprighted in 1979 and contain 1975 cards? Did they realease the packs in 79 and put previous years cards in them? Or would a pack that had 75 cards say copyrighted in 1975 on it?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions