Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need advice on cutting Bazooka boxes!!!!

Hi-
What is the scoop on cutting bazooka panels and submitting them? Do you cut them into individual cards or submit the whole box (GAI grades entire boxes- wondering what psa does)? Any insight on bazooka boxes would be appreciated! I'm a rookie with these and any advice/information I can get about these boxes would be appreciated!
Paul

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Don't cut them! They have survived in this state for 40 years, cutting them would be short sighted. As more and more people chop them up just to get a graded slab they will only become scarcer.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi...

I agree with Griffins please don't cut it up. If you really feel the need to grade it then preserve it as it is and get it graded as a box by GAI. Just my opinion.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I say do not cut the boxes only if they are intact boxes and the cards are all in nice shape. However, there are some occasions where you would be nuts not to cut up a box or a panel. For instance, if the box is missing the flaps, it is not a complete box in my opinion and cutting it into a panel would make sense. If you ever do cut a partial box, always cut into a panel first and foremost I think. The only time I ever cut up a panel is if there is damage to one or two of the cards on it, but the damage does not affect the 2nd or 3rd cards. For instance, lets say you had a panel with Clemente as the center card, and the common to his right has a crease running through it, but the crease does not touch the Clemente card. If you leave the cards as a panel, then the panel would probably grade as a PSA 3 and the beautiful Clemente card would never realize it's true value. But, of the pane is chopped into individual cards, you may be able to get a PSA 8, 9 or 10 on the Clemente, while the commons are essentially throw aways just to get to the one card.

Cutting up Bazooka panels is a royal pain in the butt and takes a lot of skill & practice. Getting them perfect is extremely difficult. I've tried so many different things, ranging from a paper cutter, but this can be quite tricky especially if you're trimming a long edge and there is very little that you're trying to trim off. I've tried straight edge and knife on a cutting board, also extremely difficult, especially when it comes to cutting the corners. I've also tried just freehand using scissors, but the only way this can be done is by cutting directly on the dashes, which means you give up the luxury of having white borders beyond the dashes, and also risk making any edge chipping look more pronounced and noticable because of the black dashes. It comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

So, rule 1, only cut a box that is not intact or has a some damage, but the damage does not affect the cards or the key card. And 2, only cut a panel when the overall condition of the panel will be significantly lower than the condition of an individual key card.

By the way, I've got tons of Bazooka cards and panels and am looking to trade for others... PM me if you're interested in trading.

-Josh