Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

number don't lie

With PSA grading 1,000,000 cards in 9 months--minus holidays they took off---PSA grades 1 card every 5 seconds in a normal 8 hour day.

1,000,000 / 167 working days= 5988 cards per day

5988 cards/ 8 hours =748.50

748.50 cards / 60 minutes=12.47 cards

12.47 cards= 1 card every 5 seconds

Comments

• Options
    I am glad I don't own stock in this company. Those numbers sure seem a little funny to me. Nothing like padding your numbers to make yourself more important. I am sure DBH will be here to defend these numbers and say what a wonderful company this is. Does he really believe his own words? Must be a joke. Oh well, guess I had better get back to preparing my cards for SGC.image
  • Options

<< <i>1,000,000 / 167 working days >>

How are you getting 167 working days?
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    1 card every 5 seconds X 12 graders = ~1 minute per card

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your calculation is no good unless you know how many graders they have looking at the cards. If they have 10 graders, that would mean, based on your calculation, that each grader looks at one card every 50 seconds.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn it Jeff image

Steve
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

mudflap02 and Steve - you both might be on to something. Maybe "number do lie".

Let me break it down for some of the Einsteins here that ain't too handy at cipherin' :

How about 9 months = 39 weeks times 5 working days = 195 - 6 holidays = 189 working days.
    With 12 graders at 8 hours each times 189 days = 18144 man hours.
    One million devided by 18144 = 55 cards per hour or about one per minute. Sounds about right to me.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, guess I had better get back to preparing my cards for SGC

Why don't you join the two other monthly posters on the SGC board while you are at it? For your sake, I hope you don't own any stock in that board.

Carew29, you might want to get your facts straight once in a while. You are embarrassing yourself.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

And what facts would be? 167 days is how many working days there have been in the last 9 months. Great!!, If there are 12 graders then divide it by that many graders. so the post of 1 card per minute would correct. Do you want to argue that one?
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

And for mr. genius "wolfbear", did you count for the 4 days they just took off for Christmas? i don't think so...Some of the holidays they took were 3 dayer's.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Easy now. YOUR post stated 1 card every 5 seconds. That would be the "fact" in question.

There is no need for me to argue with Mudflap's statement. It was yours that was shown to be erroneous. We all make mistakes but your subject line is rather ironic don't you think?
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Carew, you got caught ignoring a key fact...that they have more than one grader working which your post obviously didn't take into account.

But instead of saying 'my bad', you try to skew it so you come out ahead. Your posts continually are about the poor level of service you've received, and this post specifically was intended to incite.

Just curious what your agenda is?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    What are you guys talking about? I am pretty sure that DaBig recently posted that each card is reviewed by highly trained professionals for 25-30 minutes (or some such number). You guys need to check your facts because I know DaBig has checked his carefully before making his post! image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How do we know that they are not working a 24 hour operation there, with 3 - 8 hour shifts?

Stingray
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to factor in the amount of time to carefully pull the card from the Cardsaver and put it back for the person doing the slabbing. I doubt the grader him/herself actually does the slabbing as that would take even longer.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    A few factors to considers, which one has been mentioned, the number of graders. Another one would be the number of hours each worker works Is it 8,10, 12 hour days?
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    One other thing, and this is something I learned during my experience going back and forth with PSA during my "tampered PSA 7 B.Orr" ordeal, according to PSA, EVERYTHING card is inspected FOUR TIMES by separate graders before the final grade assignment is made. It is because of this that they are so confident in guaranteeing the grade (or so they tell me). If this is true, then the grading process is actually four times as long per individual card as we assume it to be.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the average may be around a minute, it probably varies for the type of card. I'm sure it is easier to grade a modern card vs. a vintage card.
    Mike