Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'm confused, what's this???

Just read this article on the PSA home page and am confused. "Miraculously", the 9 millionth PSA card was a 1954 Topps card in PSA 10 grade.

PSA link

Not only does this seem like a b.s. publicity stunt, but I thought there was no rhyme nor reason behind the numbering??? I thought I read on here members thought the first number might be related to the grader, etc. Either way, I received cards directly back from PSA a few weeks ago and the first number was a "3". I was sure PSA didn't slab the number in order from what I've read in the past. Now it looks like they are numbered in order. OR.........publicity stunt. Thoughts???

Let me add. I only have about 100 graded cards and EVERY ONE IS PSA GRADED, so I'm not knocking the company and if anyone at the company is reading this..........I'd like my November special back as well.

Shawn.

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Of course the numbering of this card is a publicity stunt but who cares.....I do not think anyone can figure out psa numbering system.......................if this partucular card had been a PSA 7 , PSA would probably had picked out another PSA 10 card graded about the same time to be its 9 millionth graded card..... and numbered it as such
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    How much hype will there be for 10 MILLION?
  • Options
    Oh yeah...That sounds soooo random. I suppose a 1989 Topps Candy Sierra graded PSA 6 would be a lot less noteworthy though. By the way, is it just me, or does there appear to be some toning on the light area on the back of the card?

Todd
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Another festivus miracle!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Festivus for the rest of us! Celebrate on! image
  • Options
    "Everyone I talked to pointed to PSA as THE grading authority," said Hoskinson.

heh heh heh

if you cant dazzle them with brilliance......baffle them with @#$%^
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If that card is #9,000,000, what is the lowest PSA # a member has seen?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    0000000001, for the PSA 8 T206 Wagner.

Stingray
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>0000000001, for the PSA 8 T206 Wagner.

Stingray >>

The second lowest PSA # is 01000001.....There are no cards between 00000001 and 01000000
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

There also are no cards under 9,000,000. No 8,999,999 on down. image Can you say marketing scheme?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    This must be the airing of the grievances portion of Festivus.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>This must be the airing of the grievances portion of Festivus. >>

Serenity now!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If they want to grade card # 10M soon, they just need to have another $5 grading special...
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they want to grade card # 10M soon, they just need to have another $5 grading special... >>

Yeah it should be one of those 55 topps commons that looks like a 10, but has a slight wrinkle making it a 5!image
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Where are the feats of strength? I am lifting up 4000 graded cards to show my strength. Who's next???
  • Options
    I did read someone was able to identify ANY 1955 topps card by simply the button on the players hat! I can "name that card" in 4 pixels! Who's next!
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    What's the problem here? This person obviously received a terrific grade on a card that was very deserving and we're talking about the serial numbers?!

This card is symbolic of the renewed interest in set collecting across the hobby. The PSA Set RegistrySM program now has well over 17,000 registered sets and it continues to grow. With NINE MILLION cards graded, the hobby has spoken! There is no substitute for PSA and if you want to make money in this hobby, you NEED PSA on your side!!

MAKE MINE PSA!! image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Does DBH get free grading certificates for his posts?
  • Options

<< <i>Does DBH get free grading certificates for his posts? >>

No, he posts in between the 5 seconds he has to look at each card... see other thread for punchline