Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need opinions, advice ?

I picked up a couple 197X's OPC wax packs recently on Ebay. I figured if they were in nice shape, I would get them graded - that is if I could restrain myself from opening them. Well, I decided this morning that one of the 78's just didn't look too good - OC and one worn corner. So I opened it. Here's the result - 3 HOF's in one 10 card pack! I included the Foster just to show the centering on five of the commons. So even thought the centering is not perfect on the 3 biggies, it could have been a LOT worse.

If you don't mind - let me know what grade you think they might get. I'm still not very good at judging...

<< <i>image

Also opened a '79 OPC and got a Yount and Ozzie. Of course the Ozzie is seriously OC. But I'm wondering about the Yount. The edges are really rough. I've heard that the rough cut doesn't affect the grade, but when all 4 sides are rough, how are you supposed to have sharp corners? Is the Yount worth grading? Let me know what you'all think. Thanks!

<< <i>image
<< image >>

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Late 78 & 79 OPC are often way OC like that. I'd say that none of those cards is worth spending even $5 to have graded. Maybe the Oz rookie, if the corners are strong enough for 9's, then you could be looking at 9 OC or 9 MC depending on whether the back is miscut, but even then, you're talking about a card that you may be able to sell for around $30. The Yount looks like an 8 at best, it's too OC to make a 9, and it looks like it has extremely rough cut edges even for an OPC. Good luck with the other packs if you open them. I'm all for opening them, they're no fun when they are still sealed, but that's just me - hope for one or two winners.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I decided to open another pack of 78 OPC and got another Yount, Schmidt, and a Sutton. All of the cards in that pack were well centered and sharp. I'll probably submit a couple from that pack. I think I'll hold off on the Ozzie, and the 79 Yount is really rough on the edges (even more than the scan shows) so I'll just hold that one too.

Oh well, I've got a few more packs coming. And yeah, I'll probably open them all - it's just too much fun!
    << image >>
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd grade it, but I love the rough edges on that 1979 Yount!
    Mike
    Bosox1976