Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Self adhesive 2x2's

Anybody use them? Do they work as well as the old standard staple ones? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the old stpled ones myself.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Most of the adhesive ones I've seen use PVC-plastic windows. Haven't bothered with them enough to know whether the adhesive itself affects things, though.
  • Options
    I still use the staple type. I have taken a few coins out of the sticky type (for albums) and they are a bit hard to handle if you ask me

Dr J
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I'm with sumnom..........just be careful to remove the staple completely before you remove the coin or you may have a surprise when you look at the coin........I also use cointains with the ring insert for the nicer coins............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The windows aren't as clear on the adhesive holders I've seen/used. I would not recommend them, especially for long term storage, but that's another issue.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    That was easy. Actually I think I might switch to SafeFlips. I'm not happy with my system right now. I'm at the point where my collection is still small enough to make a wholesale change, so I might as well figure out something I'm happy with. I like the binders that are in the middle of the "Numismatist" magazine in the ad. It's a seperate pull out type of ad, for those of you that get the magazine. Like a little brochure. I like the idea of the binders standing on edge and in a slipcase. I like clean, neat looking, easily accesible binders.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Lindner-style albums are great--if a bit hard to find here in America. They provide an attractive presentation too.

That'd be my recommendation.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Safe-Flips really are the way to go!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'll confess. I don't know what safe-flips are.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Saflips by E&T Kointainer are what I use; they are made of Mylar which contains no PVC.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lindner-style albums are great--if a bit hard to find here in America. They provide an attractive presentation too.

That'd be my recommendation. >>

There are some interesting coin storage and display solutions here.. I recommend requesting their catalog, as it seems to have more products / options than the website. I recently bought some of their wood cabinets with felt-lined drawers for my medals. I also bought one of the wooden 3-tier cases for slabbed coins, just to see how it looked...it's pretty nice. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Airtites are good for those coins of high value you want to protect better from the elements. Saflips are good and I certainly use them, but they offer less protection from moisture and sulfides.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm sure I'll find something I like. I'm just a bit of a nut when it comes to things like this.
  • Options
    My problem with the self adhesive 2X2's is that when you fold them over and seal them, the adhesive is now sealed inside the plastic with the coin. You have a folded over layer of plastic with glue and a coin inside. Just doesn't strike me as a good idea.