Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Qualifiers: why should they be grade-dependent?

I don't know if this debate has come up before, but i just don't understand it when i see a card for sale, that is obviously way off-center, but because the GRADE is low enough, it doesn't get the "OC" qualifier. Conversely, if a card has even MINOR pencil marks on the back, it will get a "MK" qualifier--no matter WHAT grade it is. The logic there obviously is "It's either marked or it isn't". Why not the same consistent logic on centering? A card is either off-center or it's not! Just because one may be willing to accept a lower grade, in order to not receive a qualifer, doesn't make the card any less "off-center" (just as the "marks" don't suddenly disappear if a lower grade is assigned). Seems to me that the centering should be one of the factors in the overall grade. In THIS regard, i agree with Beckett's system of grading.

Do you agree/disagree?

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

This topic has been discussed often and there are many opinions. Thankfully.

One take:

If a card is a true PSA 8 e.g. but quite OC - giving it a 2 or 3 is not descriptive of the card in the main.

Calling a card PSA 8 OC - conjures a different image in my mind's eye than calling the same card a 3 e.g.

mike

good example:

Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

You make an interesting point regarding the MK qualifier, and the apparent inconsistency with the use of other qualifiers. I feel the same way about the ST (stain) qualifier. Apparently, there is a minimum grade (PSA 5?) which can have a stain without a qualifier, as I have several '53 Bowman Color PSA 5's with no qualifiers but with an obvious wax stain on the back. It seems that if there can be no PSA 1 ST, why a PSA 1 MK?

If anyone has links to previous threads regarding this topic, I'd be interested in reading them.

Peace,

Tom
  • Options
    Stone -
    I think the original post was focusing more on lower
    end cards and not higher ones (at least, that's how
    I read it).
    As the standards are currently written now, a VG 3
    card can have 90/10 centering WITHOUT a qualifier.
    In this example, the card is obviously "off-center" but
    because the standard allows it for a VG card, no qualifier
    needs to be issued.
    I tend to agree. A mark on a card is a mark whether it's
    on a MINT card or a worn card just as 90/10 centering is
    off-center be it a MINT card or a worn card.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems to me that the centering should be one of the factors in the overall grade. >>

I was focusing on this statement and not considering hi or low end cards.

I stick to my position that if there were no qualifier, then as was stated, the card would get a grade factoring/averaging in with other criteria like surface, corners etc.

As I stated, with a really nice card, a lower factored grade would not be as accurate in describing the card over the phone e.g.

If someone said, over the phone, the card is an 8 but the centering is 80/20, I have a good picture - I'm specifically speaking in these terms.

But, if someone gave a breakdown, like Beckett - corners 8, centering 2, surface 7 e.g. That would be OK also for me.

I don't know - now I'm confused. Sorry.

I feel like it's Monday?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I have had 2 cards come back EX 5 ST

SD
    Good for you.