Home PSA Set Registry Forum

pretty neat find during the Christmas break

This is actually a very small find, however it was pretty exciting.
I decided to burn some time at a local card shop during the Christmas break last Friday. I went into the card shop to see if they had any vintage items. The owner told me that he did not have anything that went back past the 1970's. As I studied his inventory of unopened material to see what was new out, I noticed four or five late cello boxes of baseball from the mid-80's. I opened the first two lids and they were 88 topps. The price tag on the top of the box showed .69 cents. So I knew I did not have to open all the lids if they showed that same pricing. The last box showed .49 cents. I opened it up and it was the 1981 topps cello box. Considering I was at the in-laws state, no friends and a dead cell phone- this was one heck of a thrill to say the least. I don't collect unopened items and I don't know the value of these boxes. I tried remembering what the value was for these packs back when Gator and RobE were collecting this set. I guessed the owner was going to say ,"that box is going to be $150 with tax." So I asked him the price of the box. He said to me, " I will sell you that box for $30 and that includes the tax." I thought this was a great find especially for that price. I hope I did well. It sure was a fun memory.

Shane
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great pickup, Shane. You going to break open the box, or keep it for awhile?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

• << <i>Considering I was at the in-laws state, no friends and a dead cell phone- >>

If he was that bored, they must be all opened by now
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I kept it unopened. I did have some temptation in tearing it open a couple of times. I know it is not a huge deal, but it really was great finding something to buy to put away. Any ideas of what the market value is on this Anthony or Mark?

Shane
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Shane:

I just did a completed items search on Ebay - and it seems that 1981 Topps cello boxes only sell in the $43-$53 price range, with no premium associated with a complete case. It seems like they 'should' be worth more than that - but I dunno. Certainly there are enough data points on Ebay to say that it is the going market price. A great pickup anyway. I love the 1981 Topps set.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for information. I am so excited that the box is worth $12 more than what I paid. I am now going to retire from the huge find.

Shane