Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does this ebay auction seem legitimate?

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Link

I hear no alarm bells going off regarding this auction. There is 100% feedback and a clear attempt to thoroughly describe the contents.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    It looks fine to me, too.

The great thing about some of the coins in that mix is that they are so inexpensive! For example, you can get nice BU Indian rupees from George V's reign for under $20.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    He even correctly labels the Maria Theresa thaler as a restrike, unlike many sellers on eBay. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    What makes you question it?

If I had seen it before Brad, I'd probably be in the hunt.
    Roy

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Nothing seemed too blatant, but the notion of starting a listing at less than bullion value seemed risky and the stated catalog value seemed to be a bit of hype. But after some spot checking the values of some of the coins in the lot, it may not really be hype.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I start high value items at one cent all the time.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I don't see what's wrong either. If I have to spot something is wrong, I might find it hard to believe how he managed to determine the mass of pure silver without proper research.

However, there are plenty more auctions that's a lot worse than this. If you start to doubt every single auction, no transaction could be made.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    With a catalog, it is easy to determine the silver content. If the seller knows the catalog value, he probably has one. I just wondered why a seller would start the auction below the bullion value. I guess it's no big deal, there seems to be some interest in the lot.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wondered why a seller would start the auction below the bullion value. >>

You get more people bidding and once someone has taken that step they are more willing to bid again.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Makes sense. Thanks.