Home Metal Detecting
Options

woot my first detecting trip

Just got a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver for Christmas and I had never done this stuff before. Ok, so I head out today for about 2 hours. Brought along a long screwdriver for stabbing and flat piece of wood for digging. It was only about 40 degrees, snow covered half of the ground and it was raining on and off. I went to a small local beach that hasnt been used in atleast 20 years. Got a little frustrating at first with a random beap here and there and then I'd go back to check the spot were the beap went off and didnt get another beap after that. Finally after about 45 minutes I get my first hit. WOOT A 1975 LINCOLN PENNY. HAHAHA. Anyways the rain kept playing with me so I had to take shelter a couple times. Over the next hour I ended up finding a rusted chunk of some kind of metal, a nail, 2 bullets, and a lighter. LOL not much to brag about but I was excited. All of them were found about 4 or 5 inches down. I'd post some pictures but there not really worth it.

Comments

• Options
    That is the way to do it. Just get out and swing it. :-)
    If you are geting things at 4 or 5 inch, you will do well.
    Find a school yard with a sand box and bars and swings. Little play grounds we call tot lots. These will give you good training to learn the machine you have.
    Most coins will have a beep. Most junk is bigger than a coin...so it might have a beeeeep.

You can set up a test garden with coins at depth. Also add some pop tops and bottle caps.
    With some detectors you will just need to dig all targets. :-|

It helps to use headphones.

Good Luck

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    ya there was a little old swing swint set at that beach that I just started to scan when the rain started coming down too hard. I just bought 6 rechargeable 9V batteries on ebay so I'm ready to go tomorrow since most or all the snow should be gone, and it wont be raining or snowing, and the ground isnt frozen. Do you know what the general laws are about were you can metal detect on public land?
  • Options
    Most places are open to the hobby. National Parks are off limits. Historical places may be off limits also.

Learn to dig and leave no trace of digging!!! Fill all holes that you dig. EVEN cover holes dug by others.

What location are you in? Snow, 40°.....?
    Check for a local club. You will find help for your location.

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    If your gonna do beaches alot get a sifter...digs and sifts in one swoop. VERY easy and rewarding.

Also you will get false beeps every once in awhile..this is from the moisture from the water and other substance. They are normally VERY weak though, and you can learn to tell the difference between obsolete and actual beeps.

Good luck.