Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Rarity of 1969-S kennedy proof DCAM - PF69

How rare is this coin with mega frost ? What should one pay for one with the highest level of cameo frost in this grade ? What about 70-S ?

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've learned recently, the 70's carries a mark-up over the 69-S.

Rick Tomaska had a 70-S with "10" level frost for 1K on his pricelist awhile back.
    That's not typical pricing but apparently $450-$550.00 is.

The 69-S is about half of that or less.

peacockcoins

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How rare is this coin with mega frost ? >>

You mean one like this?

For "mega" frost, the 1969-S is your best bet of the 40% silver issues, but - depending on how you define "mega" - even it isn't all that common. A normal PR69DCAM is about a $200 coin, and can frequently be had for even less. But, there's an enormous variance in degree of contrast within that grade.

<< <i>Rick Tomaska had a 70-S with "10" level frost for 1K on his pricelist awhile back. >>

He still does, and he's asking $1550. He actually sold it once on eBay for $1250, but it was either returned or the buyer didn't pay up. It's certainly worth a substantial premium to normal market, but he's way out in left field with his asking price.

Russ, NCNE
  • Thanks for the information, guys !

Great Kennedy photo. Thanks for sharing.
  • How rare?

I've made three in PCGS holders.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PCGS PR69DCAM the Population is 431 with one coin higher.
    The 1970-S in PR69DCAM has a population of 197 with none better.
    Two for one and the prices are about that same difference.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How rare?

I've made three in PCGS holders. >>

Not mega frost examples, you haven't.

Russ, NCNE
    But I have yet to see Mega Frost on any of the PCGS inserts. And I for one will note that this post was started by a new member here.
    image aboard and don't let the sharks lead you to believe that a coin is worth mega money if it has frost. Look at a lot before you commit to buy. Most of the Kennedy proofs are vary common: and only the early dates command any premiun.
  • Well since we are on this subject of Monster Kennedys... I already have a 1969 PR69DCAM BUT -

if anyone happens to see a 1968 PCGS PR70DCAM Kennedy for sale, please let me know. I have been trying to buy one for the past 4 years and havent seen one for sale.

Michelle
    Only 16 or them out there psxchelly.

• << <i>

<< <i>How rare?

I've made three in PCGS holders. >>

Not mega frost examples, you haven't.

Russ, NCNE >>

That's your opinion. I saw them, you didn't!image
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Russ, you are the Yoda( or should I say the Quark ) of Kennedy Halves. Your level of knowledge in this series is phenomenal.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
    imageimage
    Got this from Russ.
  • .............Alrighty then , R. Tomaska is out in left field alright ...........behind the bleachers even .

But he has seen around a million DCAMS by his reckoning and if he say's it's got Cing Cong Kameo then

by jinkie's it MUST be worth over 1500$
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have not been here that long but Russ has amazed me with just about everything on this forum. image
  • Russ

I purchased that 1970-S a while back for $1250. The picture of the coin portrayed a very very high end piece; possibly the best I had ever seen.
    So if the coin matched the picture I would've kept it. Unfortunately their photographic techniques make the cameo look WAY better than it really is.
    So I sent the coin back. At least they're easy to deal with.

Walt
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: wpflack@comcast.net