Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    The message/moral of that feedback saga is:

Rule 1. Do not buy from strangers on scambay who do not take PayPal.

Rule 2. There are HUGE numbers of folks who do not understand Rule 1.

Why would anybody buy expensive electronics from a scambay seller?
    There are "reputable" places to squander cash on that junk in every
    neighborhood in America. COSTCO, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Cher

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Sellers ripped off close to 1000 buyers to the tune of over $300,000..........................INCREDIBLE!!! imageimage...................

...........thankfully (for us) it was electronics and not sports cards.....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pasted from one of his auctions:

Why we don’t want to take PayPal payments!

On September 12, 2005 we sold to jomo_r Wheels with tires for Lexus GS Item number: 7998192248 ($1200+shipping).

jomo_r paid through PayPal.

Are Policy states three days to pay, jomo_r took Two weeks. After payment was received then on September 28, 2005 we shipped his item using UPS.

On October 7, 2005 jomo_r filed a “Not received item claim” with PayPal.

Tracking information was verified to have arrived on October 5, 2005 (Tracking Number: 1Z0417X20342557539 and 1Z0417X20342082346)

PayPal has put the full amount on hold for investigation. After one month PayPal refund the full amount to jomo_r. And Have sent us this e-mail:

Unfortunately, the information you supplied is insufficient for us to track the shipment of the merchandise. This being the case, we are unable to grant your claim appeal at this time.For transactions of $250.00 or more in value, the PayPal Seller Protection Policy requires a proof of receipt signed, or otherwise acknowledged, by the buyer. A proof of delivery from the shipper which does not contain the buyer's signature or other acknowledgement will not be sufficient. Unfortunately, the transaction in question did not qualify for the PayPal Seller Protection Policy as you were unable to provide proof-of-delivery that can be tracked online with the signature of the recipient. Therefore, the temporary hold was completed and the funds have been removed from your PayPal account. If you wish to pursue credit for this transaction, please contact the buyer directly.

From ours understanding UPS delivered the items without getting a signature, the tracking information shows the item was placed on jomo_r side gate by UPS. We have checked up a place of delivery, anybody Strangers cannot come there.

We feel jomo_r has received the item because he has not been cooperative towards resolving the confusion. Instead he was aggressive and rude. And these, which we have received, when we ask to contact us:

Don't be a…, just send me my money or leave me alone. No need to talk. Just do it.

What you people think, the person to whom you should money will tell you - leave me alone?

And one more think – on October 7 he has bought same item (Item number: 8004129927) same day when he filed a “Not received item claim”

Any way we filed a claim with UPS, and we believe, we shall receive our money.

We can not afford this type of payment. That why no more online payments which we cannot control.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN TEN FEEDBACK RESPONSES WITH NEGATIVE FEEDBACK I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL YOUR BID.

Attention: To fraudulent bidders! We will not ship this to your brothers’ store in Africa nor will We ship it before any payment clears! No exceptions!

Signs of fraudulent buyers and sellers are very important to know, they try every method to lie and cheat you out of your hard earned money. They steal and hijack accounts to fraudulently advertise. They have few feedback ratings or different type of sold items in the past. Read their feedback carefully. We can not stress how important it is to review your sellers’ previous feedback. Check to see if they have sold anything in the past!

Non-Paying Bidder Policy…

In order to keep this listing clean and fair for serious buyers: NO INTERNATIONAL BUYERS EXCEPT CANADA PLEASE! USA and Canadian bidders/buyers only. If you are a serious bidder, have (0) feedback points but can pay with secure funds to a “CONFIRMED” address; please contact us before you place your bid so we won't cancel you by mistake. Please, no last minute (0) feedback non paying bidders. No international buyers without prior email arrangements, positive buyer feedback points and minimum "ebay member since" requirements.

Please read the auction description carefully and bid responsibly! We do NOT tolerate non-paying bidders. If we are unable to establish contact with the high bidder within 3 business days from the end of the auction, the following will occur:

Negative feedback will be left for non-paying bidder after 7 business days.
    We will file a Non-Paying Bidder Alert with eBay which may ultimately lead to indefinite suspension.
    The item is Brand new and never been Open.

Payment and Shipping...

I do not accept any Online payments
    You can pay using;
    Money Order or Cashier's Check. It’ll take 3-5 business days for clearance.
    Personal/company check. I ONLY accept the check from Bank of America, Bank One, Chase, Wachovia or City Bank. It'll take 5-7 business days for clearance.
    Western Union Money Transfer (NOT Western union auction payment)
    As soon as payment is received and cleared your item will be shipped in 2 business days by UPS or USPS to 48 continental USA.
    UPS online Tracking number or USPS Delivery Confirmation number will be provided for your convenience.
    Postal insurance is optional, it is recommended.
    No return or Refund is offered.
    Please contact me within 3 business days of winning your auction to make payment arrangements and to get the correct mailing address to send payments.
    Please contact me, if you have any questions on payment options, shipping or about a product.
  • Options
    I dont think its right to make a blanket statement about not buying from sellers who dont take paypal.

As stated in a previous thread, I dont take it. Dont know enough about it, dont want to know. I sell you something, you send me a money order. Simple enough. I've been selling since 1998 and have 100% feedback. I dont want any third party involvement.
  • Options
    You would think the police in Naples could watch that p.o box for a day or two to get this puke.

$300,000 thats enough to get them interested.

He couldn't master writing English but he could master this major scam! Unbelieveable!

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I also don't have a PayPal account. I can see the good things about it, but have seen many bad things
    about it as well. It looks too easy to say "I never got the item" and then you spend all this time to
    prove to PayPal you sent it. Just a big hassel. I have seen some auctions I would have bid on and the
    buyers would have gotten more for his item, but it was a PAYPAL ONLY auction. If my US Postal
    Money Order is no good to them, guess they don't need my business.

Ok, now on to the topic of this post. Guess that is a quick way to make a ton of money. Pay off
    all your bills in one month, and then take off. Go rent an apartment for a couple of months, make
    up some name, wait for the money to flow in, then just take off. It's been done a bunch of times
    on eBay. And it's really sad, people waiting for that Christmas gift that never came. And he sure
    took the hot items that people want, and made sure they were in the $100's of dollar items.
    Someone said, glad it wasn't sports cards. Bet this wouldn't have happened if it was sportscards.
    With the way some of you check eBay out so much, he would have gotten busted really early. I
    did notice the few auctions I looked at were 1 day auctions. That way he could get out quicker.
    And the pictures are real, but probably just empty boxes. Hope they catch that guy. Wonder if
    there is any way to keep up with what is going on with him?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The positive transactions read like SHILLS............

he is really became nice for me. and i hope he will really do a good business .
    Buyer mrbadal ( 0 ) Dec-14-05 23:34 7568923531

Steve

edited to add:

It certaintly was well thought out. I bet he/they sold a few legit items then went into full scam mode.

shame that all those peeps lost all that money.

and then we have this gem:

WOULDN'T STOP EMAILING ME TO LEAVE FEEDBACK.. CHRIST LEAVE ME ALONE

Good for you.
  • Options
    It's been too long, and I can't remember how to post the link anymore. [L="http:address" / ]
    I know it's something like that. But here is a link to another site with there pictures.

http://www.onemadguy.com/alisher71sux/
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Here you go!

What an amazing case - I certainly hope he pays for what he has done.
  • Options
    Are there any private detectives or investigators that specifically go after ebay conmen?

Seems like it'd be a booming business.

I wonder what the total dollar value of fraud has been over the last 5 years. I've seen Ebay say that .001% (or some small percentage) of their auctions end in fraud. But it's not for cheap $2 trinkets. Expensive electronics are always a favorite.

Type in "ebay fraud statistics" on google, you get a grand total of 6 results (and none of them are useful).
  • Options
    This is just one high-profile case that is drawing attention to
    the long-ongoing situation of scambay's complicity in the
    rip-off of consumers.

While no one should be stolen from, the right-winger in me
    keeps asking, "How in the heck can so many folks be so stupid?"
    Is there no responsibility on the part of the buyers for this kind
    of mess? Are many people to dumb/trusting to play in the wild-wild-west?
    If they do play there and get hurt, did they assume the risk?

I realize that the posters on this board are representative of
    the most sophisticated segment of online-shoppers, but that said,
    I still cannot imagine ANYONE buying from a scambay seller that
    used such an "obviously deceptive" scheme.

On the PayPal issue: I did not mean to say that you cannot safely
    buy from sellers who do not accept PayPal; only that if you do not
    know the seller - from previous small deals and emails - it is unsafe
    to send big-money to "starngers."

For scambay to make good on this consumer burn, would be an
    admission that they are and have been in violation of state and
    Federal RICO statutes for years. They cannot afford to do that,
    at this time. (MANY lawsuits are on the way that will allow numerous
    courts to decide exactly what has been going on.)

Cher

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really simply has to be a better validation process including the possibility of required bonding of sellers for certain items or total estimated auctions over a certain dollar amount. Bonding may be the easiest, most effective solution. A reputable seller shouldn't have any problems whatsoever getting bonding, and bonding insurance usually isn't that expensive. If an individual can't get bonding, then they're just going to have to sell any high dollar amount items through a company or someone that is bonded. This brutal scamming (STEALING) on ebay has to end.
  • Options
    At what point does the post office get involved? I am sure the Patriot Act gives the govt some recourse.image
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    alisher71 is a threat to our freedom! image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    I could see the postal service getting involved if some of the payments were made by US Postal Money Orders.
    Since no items were shipped, not sure they can do anything that way.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I am going to do a investigative background check on these two when i get into my office tomorrow morning. I'll see what i can send along to the PD.
  • Options
    The postal cops and the INS are on this.

You can read more about how little it takes to constitute "mail fraud,"
    at the USPS website.

Looks like scambay is going to issue some refunds "just to be nice;"
    and, maybe, to shut the victims up.

Maybe ebay will wake up and change their ways. But I doubt it.

Cher
  • Options
    "Buyer beware" is becoming too big of a security blanket for Ebay to hide behind, esp. with billions of dollars changing hands........