Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So what did you get for Christmas?

My parents are divorced so I had Christmas at my Moms last Sunday.. got cash from her which kind of sucks because whenever that happens it just goes towards bills.. I had Christmas at my Dads on Friday because my wife and I were going to Vancouver (in Vancouver still as I type this) with her parents to see her grandparents.. her grandpa is turning 80 on boxing day (tomorrow).

At my dad's I got a box of 2005-06 Upper Deck Series 1. Nothing great really but had fun opening it. I also got a Topps 1964-65 tall boys Jacques Plante and a 1957-58 Topps Terry Sawchuk.

The real kicker was the green box in the upper left hand corner of this picture..

It was the last box to open and no one was to touch it before hand. Once all the other presents were opened my dad told me to go open it but to be very careful.. So I went up to it and carefully slid it towards myself and started to lift it and noticed there was something sticking right out from the box.. one side of the box was cut out and my dad had the stick blade of a goalie stick in the box with the rest of the stick hidden up the curtain. I wanted this stick quite bad but didn't think I was getting it especially after not seeing any stick shaped packages in the lot of presents so it was a enormous surprise and I felt like a kid again. It turned out to be a Grant Fuhr game used stick from the late 80's when he played for the Edmonton Oilers. This one present alone totally made my Christmas and I'll cherish the memory forever. My Dad is the best. image

edited to add: forgot to mention that the stick is also signed. image

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt get anything as good as you guys. I got some clothes, which I needed ( I am still 10 years behind as far as being in style) and A Redmax blower. The blower was bought by my business but it still counts as a gift to me cause I will be using it.

Matt
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I got a Smith & Wesson Model 19 to use at my pistol league and a 2 yr PSA membership. I guess my wife dosen't want to see me for a while.

Merry Christmas
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Knuckles, whats Boxing day? Is it an annual Canadian thing where you get to beat the crap out of someone and not be arrested for it? That would be cool.

Matt
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Hey Knucks, are you staying long enough in Vancouver to go to some World Junior Games?? I went to the 1999 tourney when it was in Winnipeg and it was a blast (except for Canada losing in OT in the gold medal game!).

Im getting back from PSA (submitted though our very good friend yawie) an autographed 1978 SSPC Lyman Bostock.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knuckles, Thats a great gift!! Your Dad sure has good taste. Luckily my parents dont buy me cards for Christmas, otherwise I would end up with a set of 1990 Donruss or something. image But, my wife did get me a gift certificate to my local card shop. There is a set of 1964 Topps Giants there in NR-MT cond. I have been looking at there. Other than that, my wife got me two books on Mickey Mantle, some clothes, etc.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Boxing Day
    The day after Christmas, the Feast of St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, is better known as Boxing Day. The term may come from the opening of church poor boxes that day; maybe from the earthenware boxes with which boy apprentices collected money at the doors of their masters' clients.

Nowadays, we often see, in certain families, gifts (boxes) given to those who provide services throughout the year.

"Boxing Day" is listed in the Canada Labour Code as a holiday.

Although your idea is one to be considered as an alternate way of "celebrating".
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    The only sports related items that I received were the PSA cards that I listed in the Secret Santa thread and this book....

This is the item that I begged my wife for and received....

Lithium ion battery set with a free reciprocating saw.image

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays!

Cheers!
    Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    Cool stick Garret!

All I got was the Flu!
    Since everyone is our family is sick with the flu, we all decided to post pone Christmas until Friday.
    Oh we'll at least we'll have New Years eve to look forward the next day.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool stick Garret!

All I got was the Flu!
    Since everyone is our family is sick with the flu, we all decided to post pone Christmas until Friday.
    Oh we'll at least we'll have New Years eve to look forward the next day.

Jery >>

Darn Jery
    Sorry to hear this!!!

I hope you guys recover enough by New Years!!!

I wish you and your family all the best.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Garett
    You're a lucky guy!!!

Nice GU stick! You have a great dad - wish my dad were still here. He told the best stories and was a great guy!

Congratulations
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I got a Smith & Wesson Model 19 to use at my pistol league and a 2 yr PSA membership. I guess my wife dosen't want to see me for a while.

Merry Christmas >>

Arch
    Remind me not to get on your bad side!!!

Congratulations
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Wick

Sorry you didn't get that power tool set - looks nice.

I wanted a new Craftman screw driver set.

My wife said I already "screw up" enough stuff around here!

Mike
  • Options
    Ryan

Nice card - it looks familiar - didn't you post it somewhere else?

Did you buy it or your dad?

Mike
  • Options
    sorry, bad wording on what I wrote. I did receive the cordless set.
    Knuckles. that is a cool gift !!

Cheers!
    Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    RedHeart: Going back to Edmonton Tomorrow so no world juniors for me.

Matt: boxing day is a shopping extravaganza. All the stores have incredible sales like 50% off everything or whatever.. It's really a guys nightmare. Huge crowds, huge line-ups outside of stores to get in.
  • Options
    I had a nice surprise gift this Christmas. Over the last couple years, my dad has been slowly giving me his vintage sportscard collection. Most every time my wife and I visit, I end up coming home with something really cool. This year, he gave me his '68 Topps Baseball set. I had forgotten he had put one of these together 25 years ago, and didn't expect to bring any cards back this time. It's probably about Ex-Mt on average, but the Ryan should be a really nice 7. '68 is a really weak year for my collection, and I'll have fun upgrading some cards and turning it into a nice 7 to 8 set in the future.

I'm awfully glad that he not only kept his 50's stuff he got as a kid, but also was a serious collector from about 1980 to just a few years ago. He's just lost interest in the hobby and is enjoying other things in his retirement. I am truly blessed with not only a generous father who I shared a hobby with for so long, but also a great dad in general. I can wait on the rest of the cards...I'm just happy to have him around.

Overall, I had a great Christmas...My wife bought me too much, mom fed me too much, got to play with the nieces and nephews, and I watched football with the whole family. Hope everyone else had a good one too.

Todd
  • Options
    Contratulations Todd!

You're a lucky guy to get something like that for Christmas.

Good luck on the grade - it looks great!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I can't believe Christmas was only yesterday, feels like I've been living with my disappointment for weeks. I didn't get anything fun, except my friend got me 5 packs of Ravnica (the latest Magic set). For some reason, my family thought I was really into home improvement all of a sudden, and instead of even finding out what I might need or want they just got probabyl the first thing they set their eyes one. My aunt and uncle got me a 30-piece tool kit (I've got a whole workroom full of tools, and I didn't need a new 3" Phillips head screwdriver). My dad got me a barbecue grill (I already have one) and a leaf blower (which is nice to have but I only need it one day a year, and Jeez, that's almost as bad as when I was 12 and he gave me a shaving kit). He said he was tired of buying me baseball cards. He's bought me cards twice in the last 15 years, and last year I didn't even get them because the preseller disappeared (but he got his money back). The card shop is 2 blocks from where he works, a box of BDP is too much trouble? I was hoping for maybe a PSP, I dropped enough hints. An Xbox game, a gift cert to a nice restaurant, a subscription to Vanity Fair, something I can enjoy. Even my new girlfriend didn't come through. Granted, we've only been going out for just over a month, and she's completely ignorant of cards, but she does like comics and has been asking a million questions about what I like, so I thought she'd do something along those lines (she gave me a present, but it wasn't hobby-related image).

That's it. Next year, I'm buying my own stuff and giving it to people to wrap up for me.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I got socks, a sweater, a dry vac, and for some reason....10 packs of Garbage Pails Kid stickers. image
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    OK, I take it all back. Well, not everything, but my GF came over shortly after my last post with my "real" present, which she said she had left at her sister's when they were wrapping gifts. I tell ya, I thought she might be the one when I saw it. It's not cards, but it's the Little Nemo Sunday book. It's a book with Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland Sunday strips printed in original size, i.e. the size of a Sunday paper, about one and a half feet by two feet. I mentioned it in passing when she went to the comic shop with me, but it's $120 so I didn't get it at the time, I figured it'd be around for a while. But it disappeared one week. Now I know who got it. Absolutely awesome.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    My wife got me some 05 baseball Heritage packs for a 'stocking stuffer.' I ripped them and in the last one was transported back to the early 70's as I viewed the signature of the dark prince of American politics. The one the only:
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options

<< <i>My wife got me some 05 baseball Heritage packs for a 'stocking stuffer.' I ripped them and in the last one was transported back to the early 70's as I viewed the signature of the dark prince of American politics. The one the only:
    image >>

I mentioned your "find" in the show and tell thread.

This is by far the best item I've seen in ages! The odds on this is off the chart!

Congratulations. When 2006 Heritage goes live and they start putting autos up - if this item were to be put up, it would bring some very righteous bucks!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Yaaa, I'm back home.

Thanks for sharing everyone.
    Cool Nixon card needs a pic of him doing this though..

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    An official World Series major league baseball. Its got gold lettering. Also scored Sirius radio, complete with the home and car kits. Very sweet.