Home Stamps Forum

Here's a neat thing to find in a publication that deals with coins and currency

In the December issue of the Numismatist, the American Numismatic Association's monthly, there is a full page ad with a big picture of Scott #292. On top of that there is a smaller picture with the same stamp but in a PSE holder graded XF 90. Above the picture is a phrase
"It's time for stamps!" There is a website in the ad. Those of you who follow stamps know how far down the value of the scarce and close rarities went. I had a small collection of Confederate and they really sank. There is a similar story with coins. High rise, then down it goes. Coins are out of their slump. They've been out long enough to threaten retreat several times only to charge back.

"Full gum and / or never hinged quality stamps are VERY scarce prior to 1893" This is a quote from another website. I'm having fun buying some very nice back of the book stamps with bids at least 1/2 of what I paid for them back in the early 1980s. Some I was getting in mail bid auctions last year at $50 - $250. I'm no longer winning as many as I use to.

Jerry

Comments

• dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Be very cautious of companies like that. Many of these so-called "investment" dealers are scam artists or are very over-priced. Pop reports shows the one pictured with a total of 4 graded in that condition. I wonder how much they are asking for it???

I've also noticed a little growth in stamps, but most is at the higher end of the spectrum. I doubt stamps will ever get to the level as coins and currency. I collect all 3 and would love to see a growth in stamps.
  • Thanks for mentioning the precaution. I guess I should make it clear I'm not recommending them. I've never heard of them even with coins. My main point was that there was an ad in the ANA's magazine directed strictly towards stamps. The first one I've seen in the Numismatist. And for the record, the name listed in the ad had his ANA member nr. Anyway, it was just nice to see. Unless you don't turn to the page, you can't miss it. And you can see the PSE holder which gives them good exposure also. A good many people who like coins don't even know there is such a thing as PSE. The more exposure for them the better.

Of course it is hard to imagine a surge in stamps like is being seen with coins or currency. But that doesn't mean it can't happen to some extent.

Jerry