Home PSA Set Registry Forum

High Number Discussion

I had a question that maybe some of you guys could shed some light on. I deal in mostly 70's and up stuff so I'm not real familiar with sets that have High Series cards.

While digging around through Ebay, I started looking at closed auctions for 1961 Topps Common PSA 8's. Why 61's, I don't know, but this probably applies to most years. I was wondering why there is such a substantial difference in closing price between a normal common PSA 8 and a high number common PSA 8 when their POP's are almost the same.

For example, this auction closed for under $10 and it has a pop of 49 in PSA 8 and then this card sold for $63 and it has a pop of 48 in PSA 8.

I understand that High Number cards were produced less than low number cards, but that theory shouldn't really seem to apply as much to graded cards since the number of 8's in existence are almost identical. I can understand why a Mantle would sell for more due to his popularity, but why a common? I doubt that one no name common would have a much larger fan base over another no name common, so the main reason for purchasing it would be to complete a set.

Logically it seems that somebody would be overpaying for a high number common if it is no harder to find in the grade you are looking for than a low number common.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting point, but I think you answered your own question with the Mantle analogy regarding popularity. The high numbers, despite still being commons, are more popular (more of a demand) than lower numbered commons.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    For example, this auction closed for under $10 and it has a pop of 49 in PSA 8 and then this card sold for $63 and it has a pop of 48 in PSA 8.

In theory the low number card will sooner or later out pop the hi numbered one.

fwiw 61 topps hi numbers have the reputation for being very scarce. Yet they always seem to be found on ebay.

1966 IMO are the real tuff hi numbers from the 60's

1965 topps hi numbers are more abundant then the 3rd series and in 1957 I think the 4th series is extremely hard in relation to other series.

The whole hi number thingy is a lil exxagerated at times yet in general is somewhat of a true fact.

Steve
    Good for you.