Home Metal Detecting
Options

just got a metal detector for Christmas

I'm trying to decide is this a good metal detector to keep or should I return it and get a different one. I have never metal detected before so just to let you know. The metal detector I got is the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, retails for about $150. Is this a decent one or should I get a different one?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably a good enough starter machine. Learn to use it and practice with it until you start making good finds. By then you should know whether or not the hobby is for you. Learning to use this machine and becoming proficient with it first would be better than wasting money on a more expensive machine before you know if you will enjoy the hobby.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I agree with LM.
    Unless you are willing to trade it back and add $400.00 to $600.00 dollars to upgrade to a better unit.
    If you keep what you have, and learn to use it, then it will be a good detector for a hunting partner to get started on when you move up to a better detector.

Look at what people on this forum find. Some have low price units, some mid price units, and some top of the line units.

I just spent $200.00 for a coil to put on a 15 year old detector. The detector cost $300.00 used two years ago. It finds the same stuff as a top of the line $1,000.00 unit

Study what others use for accessories. Like digging tools and pin pointers. Maps for old locations.

This is a fun hobby image

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    It is indeed a fun hobby- very fun.

But not as easy as some folks make it look. It is definitely a hobby for patient and persistent people.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with LM.
    Unless you are willing to trade it back and add $400.00 to $600.00 dollars to upgrade to a better unit.
    If you keep what you have, and learn to use it, then it will be a good detector for a hunting partner to get started on when you move up to a better detector.

Look at what people on this forum find. Some have low price units, some mid price units, and some top of the line units.

I just spent $200.00 for a coil to put on a 15 year old detector. The detector cost $300.00 used two years ago. It finds the same stuff as a top of the line $1,000.00 unit

Study what others use for accessories. Like digging tools and pin pointers. Maps for old locations.

This is a fun hobby image

Jerry >>

patience and persistence are 2 of the reasons I think I will like this hobby, because I'm more often then not both of those two.
  • Options
    Then you'll do OK if you choose your detecting sites well.

Read your manual (no... memorize it), and get out there and practice with that sucker!

Get a good digging tool if you didn't already. An electronic pinpointer is nice to have though not 100% necessary (in fact, you should get one later since you don't wanna get too dependent on it at first- learn to pinpoint without it first).

A persistent and patient detectorist who learns his local history and finds those promising sites can do better, even with a $150 detector, than somebody else with a $1,000 machine who doesn't invest some time and thought into the hobby.

• Options
    I just got a Bounty hunter also. Mine is a Pioneer 505. I haven't done any metal detecting in about 20 years, but I'll be out as soon as the weather clears up a little. It's snowing here in SW Pa. right now. I'll post here when I find smoething interesting.
  • Options
    Personally knowing what I know now I'd take it back and get an Garrett Ace 250, which is far and away the better detector - And arguably the best for under $500 [they cost $200].
    I used a quicksilver once for a brief period, and was not impressed with its depth or target id vs. the 250 - And its lack of pinpointing ability will really make things a bit tough on you starting out.
    [A machine with pinpointing will, with practice, let you home in on a target with sometimes amazing accuracey. A machine which does not have pinpointing takes quite a bit more trial and error for judging just where to dig when it alerts you to a target. Even more, pinpointing will also let you know the approximate size of an object. Coin sized, can sized or larger ect. Without pinpointing, you don't have that ability].
    Also, it appears that you may be able to get them for quite a bit less than $150 [ Here they are $89.99].
    Having said that, I don't disagree with what lordM or Crock said.
    It is a decent starter machine, and you will find metal objects with it.
    No matter what machine you have, you'll only get back what you put into it - And even then, luck of course plays a major role in finding goodies - As does practice, perseverance, patience and experimentation.
    JJ