Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Submitting Canadian to PCGS

Hi,
I would like to crack a Canadian 1962 'half dollar' that is currently ICCS PL-66 Ultra Heavy Cameo.
There are currently none higher. I would like to have it in a PCGS holder and then I may cross
grade it with ICCS again. The first problem is that PCGS will not mention the cameo, correct? I
can live with that. Second, PCGS requires me to be a submission club member. I used to be at
the free level. Now I have to pay $50 to submit at the $30 level. I could join at the $199 level which
would give me 8 submissions. These are required to be US coins, however. I have 3 US examples
that I could send in, but I really want to send in the 1962 half. I am going to ask PCGS if I can get
the 8 free and perhaps use 2 of them for the Canadian coin.
I could go to NGC or ANACS but I have been really burned by overgraded Canadian coins in their holders.
There is no value to me to have the coin in an NGC PL-69+ holder if it crosses back to ICCS PL-66.
I have a Canadian 1964 NGC PL-67 Ultra Cameo half dollar that is now ICCS PL-65 Heavy Cameo.
I really want to see what PCGS will say. This coin has amazing eye appeal.
Any comments appreciated!
VR

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could join at the $199 level which would give me 8 submissions. These are required to be US coins, however. >>

Are they? I didn't think that was the case. I know you can't mix 'em up (for example, half world coins and half US coins), but if all of your eight are world coins, it might be OK?

I dunno.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Remember, PCGS does not designate CAM or DCAM to PL Canada coins. If it crosses it will be a PL66. When it comes to grading coin, ICCS is tighter than a knats ass! Most ICCS coins I have seen will upgrade 1 to 2 points at NGC and PCGS. I have heard the same think from other Canadian collectors, that NGC and PCGS are not as tight as ICCS. Turn on your PM function and I might have another way for you to get them graded...
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check. Marty, I didn't realize they had a PM function here. I have enabled
    this. ICCS is really tight, as you said. I have ANACS, NGC and ACG that cross-graded very much lower
    with ICCS.
    Happy New Year!
  • Options
    PCGS is much tigher than ICCS when it comes on red cents.

I personally also like to have nice coin in PCGS holder and cross grade by ICCS.
    Good luck on the submitting.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Most ICCS coins I have seen will upgrade 1 to 2 points at NGC and PCGS.

This is likely true for coins that PCGS would call 65 and above. In my opinion, ICCS suffers from a "grade compression" near the top end of the scale, where both an average nice PL coin and a super excellent PL coin will be called PL65. There is very little material above PL65, unless we get to very recent coins.

This same "grade compression" exists for business strike coins (MS), but more so for Prooflike coins (PL's typically max out at 65) and Proof coins (PR's typically max out at 67).

If I could get all my early ICCS coins into PCGS plastic with an increase of 1 point, I'd do that, sell the coins, and retire.

PS - take up MadMarty's proposal, if it makes sense - he's one of the good guys around here