Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registrycoin - Congratulations On Your Perfect $50 Proof Plat Set!

For those who may not know, I believe the 2004 $50 PROOF PLATINUM STATUE OF LIBERTY is the lowest mintage U.S. type coin poduced by the Mint in roughly 90 years - in 1915 the SF Mint Produced lower mintage Panama-Pacific Gold. Steve - congratulations on your entire collection of $50 Proof Plats and especially the 2004 specimen!! From my experience, that coin generally comes with minor problems including a "distressed" reverse planchet which often results in a max grade of PR69DC at PCGS.

I also see that you elected to restrict your modern collecting now to MS & Proof Platinum Statue of Liberty coins as well as the key date Gold Proof and MS Eagles. I can understand your thinking there.

PERFECT$50 PLAT PROOF SET!

Interesting Fact: Based upon recent public and private sales prices - the 2004 Proof Platinum coins (in just PR69DC grade or even still in the original mint packaging) which stopped being sold by the Mint around 3/05 have increased in value by upwards of approx. 187% thus far this year!! I can not think of a single modern or classic coin that has outperformed the 2004 Proof Plats (although I assume there might be a few)? Of course, that was "yesterday's performance" - tomorrow may be very different and prices could crash down or move even higher.

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for noticing the "pcgs perfect" set. The mintages of the platinum coins make this series very attractive, and the coins are beautiful. Plats are fun and challenging to collect. It's nice to see the increasing interest in the series. Thanks, again. image