Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Thinking of building a Ty Cobb Collection

I've decided to refocus my personal collection into a smaller collection of big ticket vintage, specifically Ty Cobb. Any suggestions on which Cobbs I should start with, and is it better to just get what I can (PSA 4 or 5) and upgrade as opportunities present themselves or hold out for better pieces from the start?

I'd be interested in hearing how some of the rest of you started and what worked and didn't.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"d figure out exactly what cards you're going after, and in what condition. From there check dealer sites and completed auctions to find out what they are going for and what others are selling them for. From there set up your ebay searches and comb those on a regular basis, and keep an eye on all the appropriate set registries. Anyone gets an upgrade shoot them an email right away.
    Best of luck, should be a nice looking set when you're done!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    When I first started buying t205s and t206s on EBAY back in 2002, a Cobb in psa 4 would sell for around $750.00 on average. Now if you can find one for less than $1200.00 you would be doing good. They have sold for as much as $1600.00.
  • Options
    I think he was looking for a little higher grade imageimage
  • Options
    Well I started buying my Cobbs. First card in my set is a T206 Bat On Shoulder. If anyone comes across anything interesting on the web on eBay or the auction houses, I'd appreciate the heads up. Thanks.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I would seriously take a long look at 707sportscards. Huge Cobb selection and priced accordingly. Cobb cards are getting tougher to find, and with Levi and Jim you know you are dealing with two professionals.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards