Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Advice for Building a Great Modern Registry Set.

Buy the coins raw and submit them yourself. No worries about wannabes! image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• And if you make say 5 of a coin (say ms68rd 84-d cents for example image ), you get to personally choose the best of the 5! (Actually, you can make say 36 ms66rd 80-d's and keep the best out of 36. What a choice!).
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    But, Russ, your way there is no one to protect us from ourselves.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    LincolnsRule,

And sell the leftovers to wannabes!

Russ, NCNE
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ would this make a good starting place?
    image These were from Booms Christmass Auction. Still looking for a 1971 MS67 Kennedy, and all I wanted to do was jump start the auction. Now twenty-five sets to find one coin. Haven't ever submitted myself before but the search is on. Will not open until Christmass. Then the hunt will begin.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ would this make a good starting place?
    image >>

I wonder how I knew those were '71 sets before I saw the link. The '71 envelopes are a little
    stiffer and darker color than the earlier ones.

Even though there's not much as far as varieties in this date, it is still one of my favorites to
    open since those Phillys can be stunning and show up often enough you might find one and
    the Denvers often look good.

Definitely seek the coins raw. You probably won't get many top grade coins but it's a lot of
    fun and the cost of assembling a set will be hugely reduced. It still seems unlikely that this
    will be possible for too many more years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Best of luck LindeDad! Save me a duplicate ms67!
    (You'll need the luck though! I bought most of the 400 1971 mint sets from the AZ hoard where Clackamas got his 1800 mint sets from. The 1971 had already been cut up and rolled, and so I bought one roll of each denom to check them out. I ended up buying all the pennies, dimes, and quarters, but the halves and nickels were really awful so I didn't even bother. I got 2 P quarters graded ms66, and a D that might upgrade someday to ms67. I have yet to submit the dimes but should have both in ms67 no problem. The pennies didn't work out at all).