Home Metal Detecting

club trip (ghost town)

I will be going to a ghost town that used to be a gold mining town in the day. I want to work in all metal mode, but will I able to detect a nugget or do I HAVE to go to gold prospector mode on my White's MXT to do that? Can I do it in reverse and detect in Gold mode and pick up coin/jewlery?

Lots of trash apparently in this town. i don't have a small coil, so I'll be using the big boy... Want to find gold, but don't want to exclude silver coin, etc. and vice versa...

Comments

• You will have to be in all-metal mode to hit any gold because I think the VDI number of gold is a +, but not as high as foil.

I have the MXT and when it’s in “Gold” mode it gives you a nice grunt when you hit gold. It also tells you a ferrous percentage on the screen. You’ll want to dig anything 20% or less, with 10% being the best. Coincidentally, aluminum cans are 10% image
    imageimage
  • Good luck!!image
  • finding nuggets in a trashy area with a large coil may prove to be very frustrating. you may want to aquire a small coil or give up on the nugget idea.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I've never had much luck with the standard MXT coil in trashy areas... can indeed be frustrating..

You will find rings and coins just fine in prospecting mode.. but be prepared for trash too, there's a lot of stuff that gives a 10% iron probability reading..

Edited to add: imageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro