Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

History of American Coinage - Watson - 1899 first edition

Printed by the Knickerbocker Press in Ney York.
I'm trying to find a value for this book. Long ago I saw one listed on a book site for $100
Mine has some water stains on the front and back covers and it needs some reinforcement where the pages meet the cover but the pages are in wicked awesome condition. This book covers six periods of the history of U.S. gold and silver coinage. It spans the years of 1652 when the colony of Massachusetts erected a mint (huh huh eh huh huh .... he said "erected") to present day when the book was published which was 1899. 278 pages and medium sized hardbound. Anyone heard of it?

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check abebooks.com and amazon.com for comparable items.......
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure, but if you think it is valuable, you might want to check with a rare book dealer and get an idea of value.

Do any TPG's slab books?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I've read it, I believe I even own a copy. I've seen two or three copies. I don't think it is a particularly valuable book.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    your book in the condition it is in

retail around $12
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>your book in the condition it is in

retail around $12 >>

I'd pay double that easy...
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options

<< <i>your book in the condition it is in

retail around $12 >>

Can you point me to where you found this info please.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Craton,

I don't know that much about books, but you can do a quick search on abebooks or alibris and read the descriptions of the copies of this book currently for sale and compare the prices.

(Most of them are the 1970 reprint, but there are two or three second editions offered; I didn't see any first editions, though.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options

<< <i>Craton,

I don't know that much about books, but you can do a quick search on abebooks or alibris and read the descriptions of the copies of this book currently for sale and compare the prices.

(Most of them are the 1970 reprint, but there are two or three second editions offered; I didn't see any first editions, though.) >>

Thank you.
    Here is a Second Edition of the book that sounds like it's in the same condition as mine.
  • Options
    A first edition copy of this title is apparently scarce as I could not find any on the public databases that list used or rare books. The Library of Congress added this book to their collection in March of 2004. This is somewhat significant as they must consider this an important title or they would not have added it. It is also somewhat unusual for the LOC to add a reference book of like this. Worldcat, a library database, has 76 libraries with the first edition of this title in their collection, which is a relatively low number of libraries.

Just like coins, the value of a book is tied to scarcity, popularity and condition. Broken and cracked hinges for a book that is 107 years old significantly impact the value. Reference books commonly have cracked hinges, because the are open and closed more frequently than a novel or other non-fiction title. As a result the value of a fine copy of this title could sell for significantly more.

I would guessthat the book is worth at least $50 to $100 retail, given the broken hinges but could possibly be worth more.

I have emailed a couple of the book lists I subscribe to and will let you know if I find out anything specific.
    Cheers,
    Michael
  • Options

<< <i>A first edition copy of this title is apparently scarce as I could not find any on the public databases that list used or rare books. The Library of Congress added this book to their collection in March of 2004. This is somewhat significant as they must consider this an important title or they would not have added it. It is also somewhat unusual for the LOC to add a reference book of like this. Worldcat, a library database, has 76 libraries with the first edition of this title in their collection, which is a relatively low number of libraries.

Just like coins, the value of a book is tied to scarcity, popularity and condition. Broken and cracked hinges for a book that is 107 years old significantly impact the value. Reference books commonly have cracked hinges, because the are open and closed more frequently than a novel or other non-fiction title. As a result the value of a fine copy of this title could sell for significantly more.

I would guessthat the book is worth at least $50 to $100 retail, given the broken hinges but could possibly be worth more.

I have emailed a couple of the book lists I subscribe to and will let you know if I find out anything specific. >>

Very cool. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    There were later editions? All I've ever seen were the 1899 printings!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file