Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sending Coins for Regrade...Are they poor quality if the upgrade?

Over time collecting my Mercury dime set, I have sent some PCGS coins for regrades, and the grade has gone up a point or two. I have had no less than four ANACS coins grade at a higher grades at PCGS (these were breakouts). I have even had an MS61 1923-S go from a NGC MS61 to PCGS MS63 (it took two tries-once in the NGC holder--DNC; breakout--MS63).

I have also submitted many coins raw which are now in my set.

Were these high quality coin in the original holder and now low quality coins in the new holders because they are in higher grade holders, or could they simply be graded correctly.

Would coins like this be considered high end for the grade before they were regraded?

Are all highend coins only coins that will upgrade? And when the coin upgrades, is it simply another run of the mill poor quality coin? Or how about the coin value is based on the coin no matter which holder it is in.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony, a nice coin is a nice coin no matter what the grade. The grade is something used to establish the coin's price when you go to buy or sell. It is also sometimes used as a quantitative measure to compare it to other coins "supposedly" in its grading band. In essence it is not that absolute.

For example, I own a 45-S in 66FB. I've now onwed probably 6 or 7 45-S in 67FB. The truth of the matter is the 66FB is nicer than any other 67FB I've personally examined, even though (according to PCGS) it doesn't qualify to be put in to a 67FB holder. In fact I have become delighted to own such a nice coin at a 1/3 of the price.

If you own a crappy looking 67FB, you will probably have a harder time selling it than my nice looking 66FB.

The question about your coin is this -- is it a nice looking 63 or crappy looking 63? Mind you, it might only be a 63, but it might still be a nice looking coin.

One of the nicest dimes I owned was an NGC 45-P in 64FB. It was undeniably a nice coin -- forget what flavor plastic was around the coin or what the numerical grade was. It was a brilliant near GEM coin, no hairlines, no major hits, with bread loaf bands -- something that is rare for a 45-P in any flavor plastic.

Now of course if a coin is undergraded, economically it makes sense to try to put it in to the right flavor/grade plastic. But the emphasis should be on the coin in the plastic, and not the plastic itself.

There are lots of ugly MSFB 16-D's out there -- I know because I've seen them. Those people feel as good about their coin as a person who owns a beautiful 16-D in MSFB. The ones that have the ugly coins will be in for a rude awakening when they (or their loved ones) go to sell.

I've posted pictures of some of these high grade 16-D's and 18-D's in these threads before -- those coins were perfect examples of the types of coins collectors should stay away from.

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    It may be my opinion only, but it seems there are certain year coins in every series that it's just about impossible to get upgrades on.

Like you said, you can lay out ten - twenty coins graded MS67, then compare a certain year MS66 to all of them.
    Know in your heart you are being honest and objective, but still can't get them to pull the trigger for the upgrade.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, its nice to own these coins no matter what the grade on the holder.
    But its also nice to know they are recognized for the true grade they deserve.
    Its probably always been this way, and most likely will remain so.

It's also true that we just need to vent from time to time.----
    Dan
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    dont know

but show me a coin in hand sight seen with my specialities and i can tell you
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    sometimes yes many times no