Home Metal Detecting
Options

cash coins

here is a small sampling of some of the various chinese we find out here. i'd say they're pretty common in most old areas. i think i've dug at least 15 of them this year. if your not digging the lower conductors, then your probably passing these up.

Comments

• Options
    Wow at first glance it looks like no two are the same.

Cool finds.image
  • Options
    Where are you, DD?
    imageimage
  • Options
    i live few miles south of Riccar.
  • Options
    well ... where's Riccar?
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>well ... where's Riccar? >>

Ricks in Morgan Hill, CA.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    10-4. I used to drive through there everyday. You guys are finding all of that Chinese Cash there? Wow. I wonder why it’s there. Is it left over from the installation of the railroad?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Majority of my silver coins have come from old parks (deep turf)... and not a single one from MH.
    I think all my cash coins have come from SanJose (d/t old chinese population)... but I'm not even
    close to demodigger's cash coin totals.

I think demodigger's territory ranges about 150 miles (North-South)... no old coin is safe image
    (come to think of it... that's just about as big as LodiTom's territory!)
  • Options
    most of mine did come from san jose. san jose had a large china town that moved about 5 times. the chances of getting one in any old site is good. i have dug a few in other towns/cities, like morganhill, santa clara, oakland, san francisco, fremont(niles) and maybe even stockton.

my favorite chinese coin is the 50 sen in this picture. it and a 1 sen coin, were sanwitched together in the base of a palm tree. i had to use an axe to get them out. both coins are about the size of half dollars.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous 50 sen coin DD!
    Great eye appeal! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hey DD,
    What is the year of the 50 sen?
  • Options
    Yep got quite a few of those and even piece's of them too.Probally don't have near as many as DD,but I find a few.
    All the one's I have found have been in demo's,they are mostly site's from around 1850's and on.Never found any in the older park's yet.
    That 50sen is cool DD.
    Ric I do travel a little sometime's depending on if are area is slow and I get a wild hair to go somewhere differrent ,but mostly StocktonimageHH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i'd say they're pretty common in most old areas. >>

Only on the West Coast. I have yet to find one here on the East Coast.

<< <i>my favorite chinese coin is the 50 sen in this picture.

image >>

That coin is Japanese, not Chinese. Note the Imperial chrysanthemum at the top.

Neat finds!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    oooppps how about that! well there was/is a japan town in the same area where the old china once existed.

hey tom, i did get a cash coin in one of our older parks here in SJ. the park is "saint james". a playground was being put in and they dug down about 2 feet. i believe i've also got one from golden gate. would you believe that 1849 coin in the above pic also came out of GGP?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read a book about the 1906 SF earthquake and fire. Finished it last night. Interesting!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.