Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Prince/Princess of Wales '86 Visit to Japan Medallion

I have a commemorative silver medallion struck by the British Royal Mint, authorized on February 6th, 1986, to commemorate the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales to Japan in May of 1986.

I have searched high and low and Google and can find no information about this medallion, especially its present-day value. Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you.
imageimageNever figure without figures to figure.

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never heard of that medal/medallion. Can you post pictures of it here? If so, perhaps one of the collectors of Japanese material can help.

... and image to the DARKSIDE.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't ring a bell with me, and I tried to google as well. Any pictures?

Cathy

• Options
    Sure do appreciate the responses, folks, and Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to ALL!

The advice about asking around in Japan: I live here and not a bit of info anywhere I've looked so far.

Request for picture: I've no way of doing that, but let me try to provide more info.

Description: Got a beautiful case and the medallion is still in the sealed plastic holder. Looks like it hasn't been touched by anyone, certainly not me. Frankly, I forgot I had it until very recently. One side has a relief of Charles and Diana, with a little pagoda showing off in the distance over Charles' right shoulder. Other side shows a tradional style Japanese fan; just below that five little chrysanthemums, or at least I think they're meant to be; and then in fairly large block letters are the words about the visit -- VISIT TO OF da,da,da MAY 1986. It's a really beautiful coin/medallion.

The little certificate No. is 0367 and of the other information on the inside it indicates that "the British Royal Mint has issued a maximum of 2,500 commemorative medallions struck in .925 sterling silver." It also reads, "The edge inscription reads '925AG ROYAL MINT GREAT BRITAIN'.", but because of the threading of this little plastic case I can't read that, even with the glass.

Oh yes, it has the size as 38.20mm in diameter and weighs 28.28 grammes.

Now my receipt here indicates that on 61(Showa[1986]), April 12th I paid 7,450 yen for this. I sure don't remember what the exchange rate was back then, and I would expect this little fella(gal) has appreciated since then, especially with all the drama surrounding that couple since this was issued.

And that's about all I can give you in print, folks. Oh, there's a Royal Mint monogram on the inside of this case. Sorry, monogram is the wrong choice of vocabulary, yes? Maybe, just seal, eh?

Anyway, the fact that I can't find any info anywhere, short of actually calling the Royal British Mint, seems a bit odd. Hope that info above might help one of you pros out, and I sure appreciate the help.

Again, Happy Holidays to ALL, but be safe, okay?
  • Options
    I'm a great believer in going to the horse's mouth, so I have e-mailed the British Royal Mint with an inquiry about the medal in question. Their website says they will respond within 5 days, so I'll post whatever reply I get when I get it.

To the best of my recollection the 1986 exchange rate was in the general vicinity of ¥125/US$1, which would put the original cost in the region of US$60 or so.

BTW ManyQs, image to the forum. Where are you located in Japan? I was stationed in Tokyo many years ago, and my Beautiful Bride is from Fukushima-ken.
    Roy

• Options
    Heh, Merry Christmas satootoko. Thanks for the help.

I live in the extreme western edge of Tokyo-to. Been in this same old house for around 15 years. In Japan for a few more years than that.

Stationed in Tokyo sounds like Yokota, or if more than 25 or 30 years ago you might have been stationed at any number of former locations that are now in the hands of the Japanese -- Camp Drake, Fuchu, Tachikawa. Oh yes, I forgot, Hardy Barracks is still in U.S. government hands.

Anyway, I'm getting way off-topic, eh? Again, appreciate the help and be sure to have a SAFE holiday season.

Oh yeah, I prefer a nice red wine when I visit in four days. Not a big glass. So much to drink when I do that chariot ride around the world.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Q, are you a collector of Japanese coins?

I am across the water in Korea, practically shouting distance!
  • Options
    Howdy sumnom, and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Can't really say I am presently an avid collector of any coins, but only because my financial situation doesn't allow it. Many years ago when I was able to I used to line up for first-day issue stamps here in Japan. Did that for a couple of years and have a nice collection from that. Had a bit more money those days and could make the time -- gotta get in that line really early. I've collected special 500 yen coins in the past, but may have to sell them. Nope, not much of a collector these days, but when I can I'll go for it again. I don't suppose collecting ever leaves your blood once the bug bites.

The Land of the Morning Calm, eh? I lived there for a number of years in the 70s and early 80s, but been in Japan since I left there. What part of the country do you live in?
  • Options
    My collecting goes on and off. I am in a down period right now but that won't last for long, I am sure.

I live with my wife in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province. We are about two hours by train east-northeast from Seoul.
  • Options
    I have seen an image of that in Yahoo Japan few months ago. Unfortunately I don't remember it now so I cannot remember where it was. I am not too sure what you would like to do with that medal, but if you are to sell it, you might attempt to sell it on scamBay or Yahoo Japan. Price wise, I am never too sure, but it was at least 6000yen the other time a seller was offering it. Whether there was a bid on it or not, I don't remember. Sorry. image
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My collecting goes on and off. I am in a down period right now but that won't last for long, I am sure.

I live with my wife in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province. We are about two hours by train east-northeast from Seoul. >>

I bet you're glad you're not two hours due north of Seoul. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Even here, the DMZ is not far. South of the DMZ there is a military zone where civilians are not allowed to enter. That is as far north as I have ventured, walking just up before the check point.
  • Options
    UPDATE -

The Royal Mint sent me a generic response to my inquiry, giving me a link to a dealer because they don't sell discontinued items directly.image

I replied with an explanation that asking for information wasn't a request to buy, but a request for specifications, original issue price, period of issue, etc. Let's see what bureaucratic nonsense their next reply will be.image
    Roy

• Options
    Been away for a bit, folks, so hope you'll not get on me too hard for trying to catch up all in one post. Oh yes, I trust all had a great and safe holiday season.

sumnom: I took a trip to Chuncheon many years back because I'd heard it was a beautiful area, which it was. And didn't Chun Doo Hwan get put into some place of exile around there? (Chun Doo Hwan! I could tell you a very interesting story about the night he came into Seoul and took power. I was the first Government Schedules to discover his move down MSR1.) And believe me, sumnom, you would not want to venture past that checkpoint into the "Z". There are all kinds of nasties in there. It's gonna be a mess to clean up some day.

Speaking of the "Z", shirohniichan, I knew some drivers way back, especially if in a military vehicle that didn't have to stop at the checkpoints, 2 hours north of Seoul and we'd be eating grass kimchie with ole' Jenkins.

And finally, satootoko, did them royal minty folkaroos ever get back to yous?

Have a safe, healthy, prosperous, successful "collectoring" year in 2006 everybody!
  • Options
    Hi there, Q.

Yes, Chuncheon is a nice place.

I didn't venture to the border of the "Z" but to the border of the "mintongseon," the line after which only military personnel are allowed, a few miles before the DMZ. I don't know what that area is called in English.

If you can, I would love to hear about your Chun Doo Hwan stories. Send me a PM!