Home Stamps Forum
Options

Internet Resource?

Hi!

New here and I pretty much joined just to ask this question:

I have inherited a book of stamps, all sheets from the 70's for the most part, and I am curious about their value. Is there anyplace on trhe net to determine this or am I better off just picking up a book? And if it's the book option, which book?

While I'm positive there are no sheets in this book worth much more than face value, I'd still be interested in knowing what I have.

Any help would be nice...

Nice place, I'll probably come back more than I originally anticipated...

Comments

• Options
    Hi and welcome!!

Probably the cheapest, easiest way is to go down to your local public library and get a copy of the latest Scott catalogue. You can look up the stamps you have and find out approximately what they are worth.( about one half to a third of what Scott says they are valued at)

Hope this helps, good luck!!
  • Options
    Does Scott have an actual price listing for sheets? Sheets can be difficult to price. There are gobs of stamps issued nowadays and that includes the 70s. If you have anything of big dollar value it will most probably be from a color omitted. i.e Scott nr. 1578 has a catalogue value of .25 cents unused. With the brown and blue omitted it catalogues at 2,250. So there is always a chance! There are quite a few color omitted errors listed. I've never seen one or heard of anybody who has one though. Anybody else?

I show the 1970 stamps starting with Scott nr. 1387 to the 1800s. That looks like a lot of stamps, but I have yet to see a Scott catalogue that you couldn't easily identify stamps by the pictures and then to the Scott nrs. Remember, quarterlvr and I are talking Scott. There are others such as Harris. Another place to buy a neat reference catalogue guide is at the Post Office. It's simply called The Postal Service Guide To U.S. Stamps. But they are a little spendy...I think they are $25 now!! But it's all color pictures and Scott nrs. It's actually pretty nice.

And if you need a website to order a catalogue if all fails, just ask. Let us know what you find!

Jerry