Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Here's something you don't see everyday!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Heritage Numismatic Auctions sold a complete 1964 set certified by PCGS. The sale in November 2003 brought $21,245, including buyer's fee."

I bought that lot and it contained the Jeff nickel in finest known MS68FS as well as a finest known MS68 Roosie (the quarter and half were also MS67). At $4,249/coin average for the (5) coins in the set, I thought that was a very good deal, especially since the Jeff nickel had trading history of $10,000- $15,000 alone in MS68FS, not to mention the finest known dime at $6,000-$10,000.

$25,000/coin for the ebay 5 coin lot !! I hope the seller gets his price!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• << <i>"Heritage Numismatic Auctions sold a complete 1964 set certified by PCGS. The sale in November 2003 brought $21,245, including buyer's fee."

I bought that lot and it contained the Jeff nickel in finest known MS68FS as well as a finest known MS68 Roosie (the quarter and half were also MS67). At $4,249/coin average for the (5) coins in the set, I thought that was a very good deal, especially since the Jeff nickel had trading history of $10,000- $15,000 alone in MS68FS, not to mention the finest known dime at $6,000-$10,000.

$25,000/coin for the ebay 5 coin lot !! I hope the seller gets his price!

Wondercoin >>

Actually, I hope he doesn't. In my opinion $125,000 for the set a major rip-off for a new buyer, if any is so supremely foolish to pay those $$ for a Special Mint Set.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This is the King of Siam set of the Twentieth Century. image

• << <i>This is the King of Siam set of the Twentieth Century. image >>

Really? I'll take ABSOLUTE rarity over condition rarity any day! Sort of reminds me of a house of cards fueled by greed. That set is worth about the same as a MS-65 Rd 1926-S Lincoln Cent or better yet, a MS-63 Chain Cent??image

Ira
    "I'll take ABSOLUTE rarity over condition rarity any day!"

Ira: Actually, that set offers both. You'll notice the seller has a "best offer" on the auction lot. So, clearly it would make little sense to me as well for anyone to actually pay the asking price, or even very close to it - I agree with you. But, make no mistake about it - that set is a very cool numismatic item. If the seller put that set up no reserve in a major auction, I suspect it would get some serious attention.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I would love to own a 64 set but for the seller to compare it to the King of Siam set???? Sorry I don't see the same history here. image

• << <i>"I'll take ABSOLUTE rarity over condition rarity any day!"

Ira: Actually, that set offers both. You'll notice the seller has a "best offer" on the auction lot. So, clearly it would make little sense to me as well for anyone to actually pay the asking price, or even very close to it - I agree with you. But, make no mistake about it - that set is a very cool numismatic item. If the seller put that set up no reserve in a major auction, I suspect it would get some serious attention.

Wondercoin >>

I can't see how it offers absolute rarity...just condition rarity. I image a SMS from that year all graded MS-65 would be easily attainable for very little $$. I have no doubt that folks enjoy high grade modern material, and I have no quarrel with that.

But I have had customers try to sell very high grade modern material back to the dealer from whence it came, and those few who reported to me were offered only about 10% of what they paid. Maybe all dealers don't work that way, but i guess I'd rather sell red 1925-S, 1926-S, 1927-s and 1928-S Lincolns. Did I mention 1924-S &D and 1923-S?ALWAYS a strong market for those and I'm eager to buy them back for inventory.

Ira
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ira, are you thinking about 1964 SMS sets, or just regular 65-67 SMS sets? There are only 22 1964 SMS Lincolns certified by PCGS.
    Doug
    "I can't see how it offers absolute rarity"

Ira: Estimates range from 1-3 dozen coins of each denomination struck in total. Isn't that absolute rarity in your book?

Wondercoin.

• << <i>"I can't see how it offers absolute rarity"

Ira: Estimates range from 1-3 dozen coins of each denomination struck in total. Isn't that absolute rarity in your book?

Wondercoin. >>

Mea Culpa. I was thinking of the 1965-1967 SMS. My mistake and my humble apologies. That IS a rare date for a SMS...very few were released. I'm about to cut myself a large slice of humble pie right now! Shows what I don't know about moderns!

Ira
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ira, they're still not worth $125k image
    Doug
    Ira: The 1964 SMS coins are very interesting coins. And, while I totally agree with Doug that the set is not worth $125k to me, as I mentioned above, I would love to compete for the set in a true no reserve auction - I believe it would do very well. I was fortunate to win that $21k Heritage sale with 2/5 coins in finest know grade.

Wondercoin
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. 1700 hits allready, curious if anyone takes the bait. Nice set but huge tag. We will have to check if the set gets registered anytime soon in the PCGS registry.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    For me as a collector of coins from that era, this is a set of which dreams are made. But, I agree that $125K is seriously optimistic. I'd think $65K to $70K would not be out of the question, though, particularly in light of the provenance.

Russ, NCNE